How do you turn a good morning into a great one? With a great breakfast, of course. And what’s the ideal breakfast? The one that makes you feel like a kid on a Sunday morning – racing downstairs to catch cartoons on cable before anyone else was awake? PANCAKES. Greek yogurt pancakes to be specific.
My love affair with flapjacks is real. They’re the ultimate comfort food breakfast, and they’re super versatile. I love that pancakes can be made savory or sweet (though, with my sweet tooth, I opt for sweet 98% of the time), and I love plain pancakes because I can pile the toppings high.
For this particular stack, caramelized bananas, maple syrup, and chocolate chips were in order – and oh my goodness was this satisfying. I’m not even sure if this was considered breakfast or dessert by the end of it, but I don’t care, because these pancakes are HEALTHIER. That’s right – this gorgeous, fluffy stack before you is actually better for you than normal pancakes. So put down the boxed stuff, back awaaaay from the sugar, and let’s make a delicious, comforting breakfast that you can feel good about!
What makes these healthier?
It shouldn’t even be a surprise at this point – the secret ingredient here is nonfat Greek Yogurt. There’s a reason it’s a staple on so many diets, especially on WW (If you’ve wanted to try WW- use this link and enjoy a free month!).
Greek yogurt is like half of this batter, and it makes these pancakes light and fluffy and deliciously tangy (think almost like sourdough, but not overpowering). It gives these a protein-packed punch as well, so they’re actually filling as a meal.
Shockingly, I actually don’t sweeten the pancakes at all, so you save lots of calories by omitting sugar and just using sweet toppings (I think maple syrup is plenty sweet, so I don’t mind a non-sweet base!).
The batter is also thinned out with unsweetened almond milk, which is low in fat, calories, points, etc. The majority of calories in these pancakes is coming from the flour, but hey – you’ve gotta live your life, so enjoy it.
Healthier Greek Yogurt Pancakes
- 1 cup nonfat Greek Yogurt I like Fage 0%
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon optional
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Banana sliced and chocolate chips to top (and maple syrup, of course)!
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon and whisk together. In a separate bowl, whisk together yogurt, eggs, vanilla, and milk.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry, and whisk it all together until you have a smooth batter.
- Cook like a regular pancake – spray a non-stick skillet on medium high heat with cooking spray, pour roughly 2 tbsp of batter, and once you see bubbles on the surface, flip it! Once both sides are lightly browned, remove from skillet and repeat.
- To caramelize bananas, cut them up, spray some cooking spray, and gentle sauté bananas over medium heat for about 2 minutes per side, until just soft and caramelized (they’ll be lightly brown).
- Top pancakes with bananas, chocolate chips, and maple syrup, and have the best morning ever!