We all know and love the famous McGriddle, aka the breakfast sandwich served on two pancakes. Frankly, what’s not to like? Unfortunately, for those following WW – a single sausage McGriddle will run you 16 points. For many, that’s more than half a day’s worth! Well I’ve got great news for you – I made a healthier version that’s easy to make, insanely tasty, and WW friendly! These Scallion Pancake Breakfast Sandwiches are an absolute slam dunk that will have you looking forward to the next morning’s breakfast.
These are also a great make ahead recipe, so you can batch prep them for a busy week and enjoy a fresh, delicious, and satisfying breakfast every morning in just about a minute.
Making Scallion Pancake Breakfast Sandwiches
These start out with a pancake base, which is a savory riff on my Greek Yogurt Pancake recipe. These pancakes are higher in protein, yet have the best fluffy texture. I loaded them up with fresh scallions to give them a little more flavor, and it pairs so well with the egg, sausage, and cheese. To make the pancakes, you’ll need:
- nonfat greek yogurt
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- garlic powder
- unsweetened almond milk (or regular dairy milk)
- chopped fresh scallions
Combine egg, milk, and greek yogurt in a bowl and mix well. In another bowl, mix up flour with baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix until you have a smooth batter. Add scallions and fold them in. Heat skillet over medium heat, spray with cooking spray, add about 2 tbsp of batter per pancake and cook pancakes like any others! Roughly 1.5 minutes per side (once they start to bubble a bit and the underside is browned, flip.
Prepping the sandwiches
Meanwhile, mix up eggs with your choice of seasonings, spray a donut pan well, and fill each cavity evenly with egg. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes, until egg is puffed up and no longer runny. You can also pan fray eggs, etc, but the donut pan method is a quick and easy way to make eggs in bulk, plus they’ll be the perfect shape for egg sandwiches.
Once your pancakes and eggs are cooked, place one pancake down, top with egg, sausage patty (I used pre-cooked turkey sausage that just needs to be reheated), and a slice of nonfat cheese. Top with another pancake, then either wrap in tinfoil or place in an airtight container in the fridge. Store for up to 4 days. Reheat by microwaving for ~45 seconds and enjoy!
Scallion Pancake Breakfast Sandwiches
- Mixing Bowls
- Donut Pan optional
- 1 cup nonfat Greek Yogurt I like Fage 0%
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup scallions chopped
- 6 eggs whisked with salt, pepper, and any other seasoning you like.
- 6 turkey sausage patties
- 6 slices fat free cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Whisk eggs with salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you like and pour into a well-greased donut pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until eggs puff up and are no longer runny. Set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder and whisk together. In a separate bowl, whisk together yogurt, eggs, and milk.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry, and whisk it all together until you have a smooth batter. Add scallions and fold in.
- Cook like a regular pancake – spray a non-stick skillet over medium heat with cooking spray, pour roughly 2 tbsp of batter, and once you see bubbles on the surface, flip it! Once both sides are lightly browned, remove from skillet and repeat.
- To assemble breakfast sandwiches, place down a pancake, top with egg, sausage patty, and cheese slice. Top with another pancake, then wrap in tin foil or place in an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days, or freeze to enjoy later.
- To reheat, pop in the microwave for 45 seconds (from fridge), or until heated through. Enjoy!