The hardest part of any diet is the fact that chocolate rarely fits into it. For me, that’s a no-go. So I sought to create a delicious, simple, chocolate dessert that folks on WW (and anyone looking to eat a bit better) could enjoy. That’s how these WW Brownie Bites were born.
These actually start from a box brownie mix, so they’re as simple as it gets. With a few simple tweaks, you can hack boxed brownie mix to be way lighter. Remember, at Food by the Gram, we’re all about having your cake and eating it too. Literally.
Lightening up boxed mix
Typically, box brownie require you to mix oil, eggs, and water into the mix to create perfect, fudgy brownies. While delicious, all of the oil adds on calories, fat, and WW points. No bueno.
The magic swap? Nonfat Greek Yogurt, of course. Folks on WW know that Greek Yogurt is a staple and a super versatile cooking/baking ingredient. I use it in some of my most popular recipes:
- Healthier Greek Yogurt Pancakes
- Lighter Chocolate Cake with Greek Yogurt Frosting
- Healthy Green Onion Dip
- Healthy Bang Bang Shrimp
- Healthy Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes
And the list goes on…
Making WW Brownie Bites
These are lightened up in a few ways.
- Portion control. When you make a big sheet of brownies, it’s easy to cut a giant piece, or keep skimming off the edges, etc. Trust me, I’m guilty of it. By making the brownies into little individual bites, they’re portion controlled for you.
- Skip the oil. The oil called for on the box adds a bunch of fat, calories, and points. By swapping it for Nonfat Greek Yogurt, you add protein without adding fat. Plus, if you’re on the blue plan, Nonfat Greek Yogurt is 0 SP.
- Keep the eggs and water. Low cal, adds protein, binds things together, and contributes to the fluffy, cakey texture.
And making them is a cinch.
Simply mix together your wet ingredients in one bowl, dry in another, combine, and bake. Since this starts with a boxed mix, a lot of the work is done for you.
Mixing it up
You can mix these up lots of ways to change the flavor, make them holiday-friendly etc.
- For holidays, just swap out the sprinkles. Pink, red, and white give these a perfect Valentine’s Day flare! Red and green for Christmas, etc.
- Frost them! You can totally top these with frosting, Nutella, peanut butter, etc.
- Love coffee? Bump up the amount of espresso powder for a cafe mocha flavor profile.
- Love chocolate and cherry? Drop a cherry in the center of each for a fruity, chocolatey explosion.
- Trying to avoid sugar? Swap the brownie mix for a sugar free variety.
Or, eat them plain. They’re delicious – promise.
WW Brownie Bites
- Mixing Bowls
- Mini Muffin Pan
- 1 box brownie mix 19.4 oz box
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Combine brownie mix, baking powder, espresso powder in a mixing bowl and stir together
- In a separate bowl, combine egg, water, and greek yogurt and mix together until mixture is uniform
- Stir wet mixture into dry ingredients until fully incorporated
- Top with sprinkles if desired
- Bake at 350 F for 10-12 minutes, until a toothpick comes out dry
- Let cool and enjoy!