Bang Bang Shrimp is always one of my go-to appetizers. I love the combination of flavors in the sauce, which is sweet, spicy, and creamy all at the same time. Typically, the shrimp is fried and the sauce is mayo-based. That means that as a whole, the dish isn’t quite diet friendly. So I sought to make a healthier, equally delicious version.
Whereas a typical restaurant serving of Bang Bang Shrimp is upwards of 25 points on blue, my version is just 1 WW SP for 10 shrimp. Served over 1/2 cup of Jasmine Rice (3 SP on blue) with 1 cup of steamed broccoli on the side, you have yourself an entire filling meal for just 4 WW SP! And in my book, that’s a major win.
Lightening up Bang Bang Shrimp
Typical Bang Bang Shrimp is made with a pretty heavy, mayo-based sauce. While that makes it delicious, it also makes it high in fat and calories. Instead, my version leans on nonfat Greek Yogurt, which WW folks know is super versatile (and 0 SP on blue).
My version combines Sweet Thai Chili Sauce (2 tbsp is 1 WW SP on blue) for the sweet aspect, sriracha (0 SP) for the spice, and nonfat Greek Yogurt (0 SP on blue) for the creaminess. All together, you get a sauce that tastes darn close to the real thing, but is way better for you.
Traditionally, this shrimp is also deep fried, so instead, I opted to air fry mine. I skipped the breading/batter, air fried the shrimp as is, and it was still absolutely delicious!
Make it a meal
While Bang Bang Shrimp is a great appetizer, you can totally make a meal out of it. I like to serve it with 1/2 cup of Jasmine Rice, which is just 3 WW SP on blue, and some steamed broccoli.
You can go Gluten Free by serving it over some rice noodles with vegetables for a delicious sweet and spicy dish. Pack it with snap peas, cut red pepper, and broccoli for an Asian-inspired dinner that’s sure to satisfy.
You could also toss this shrimp over a salad for a no-carb option. Load your salad up with your favorite veggies and lots of green onion, and let the shrimp be the star (and the protein!).
Healthy Bang Bang Shrimp
- Mixing Bowls
- Air Fryer
- Small Saucepan
- 1 lb Shrimp deveined and shells removed
- 4 tbsp Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
- 2 tsp Sriracha
- 4 tsp Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- 2 cups Jasmine Rice Prepared according to package instructions
- 4 cups Broccoli cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp Green Onion chopped, for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine chili sauce, sriracha, and Greek Yogurt and mix to fully combine. Set aside.
- Spray shrimp with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Air fry shrimp at 400 for 8-10 minutes, until fully cooked through.
- Cook rice according to package instructions, and steam broccoli on stovetop or in microwave.
- Toss cooked shrimp in prepared sauce and serve warm over rice with side of broccoli.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and enjoy!
- 184 calories per serving
- 15g carbs
- 26g protein
- 2g fat
- 286 mg cholesterol
- 10 g sugar