Before you use that brownie mix to make yet another round of brownies – why not mix it up? Why not elevate it? Why not turn it into these Salted Brownie Cookies! These are sweet and salty, rich and fudgy, and are sure to wow at your next event or cookie swap. They’re also SO easy to make since they start with boxed brownie mix, so they’re easy to whip up at the last minute.
Making Salted Brownie Cookies
These cookies really couldn’t be easier, since they start with a box of brownie mix. I always keep a few boxed mixes on hand just in case. Birthday you forgot about? Unexpected house guests? Mother in law coming to town? Boom. Boxed mix to the rescue. Im all about doctoring it up though (like in these WW friendly brownies).
For these cookies, you’re going to add some flour to the mix to make it dryer, eggs to bind everything, and some oil and water for texture. Throw it all in a mixing bowl and mix it up while your oven pre-heats. Then, with wet hands, form the dough into even balls. I use a tablespoon to make sure they’re all roughly the same size, and I roll them into a ball and place 2 inches apart on a lined baking tray.
Side note – I swear by silicone baking mats for just about everything, but especially cookies. Nothing sticks, clean up is minimal, and they can be reused time and time again. If you don’t have some, they’re an inexpensive add to your kitchen arsenal that’s TOTALLY worth it.
Once your cookies are baked, let them cool on a cooling rack and top with some sea salt. I use Maldon Sea Salt Flakes, which add some great texture and crunch as well as a hint of salt which perfectly complements the cookies. You could also top these with some frosting or your favorite nut butter. They’re good no matter how you top them (or if you don’t top them at all).
Salted Brownie Cookies
- Mixing Bowls
- Cookie Sheet
- 1 18 oz. box brownie mix (note, if using Betty Crocker brand, add 1 tsp baking soda to the recipe so your cookies have some rise. Other brands like Duncan Hines or Ghirardelli don’t need the baking soda)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 5 tbsp canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp water
- Optional extra chocolate chips in batter (roughly 1/2 cup)
- Sea salt for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Combine brownie mix and flour, whisking until combined. Add baking soda if needed
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, water, oil
- Pour wet into dry ingredients and stir until fully combined. Add chocolate chips if using.
- Using a spoon and wet hands, roll dough into balls roughly 2 inches apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet
- Bake for 8-10 min (check them, they should be chewy and you don’t want to over bake!)
- Top with flaked sea salt and enjoy! These are delicious warm (serve with some ice cream) or cooled off!