There’s nothing I love more in the morning than a fully-loaded bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon. Truly, one of life’s great pleasures. The chew of the bagel, the creaminess of the cream cheese, the salty fish… it’s a perfect combination. However, there are two inherent issues.
First, it’s not great for you. Especially if you’re following WW (try it free here), the average bagel will run you 11 points, no toppings.
Second, I rarely have the time/energy in the morning to actually make things. I love to grab and go items, and you will not catch me slicing, toasting, and topping a bagel on a weekday morning. I’m lazy, but I’m honest.
It’s gotta be fast
Bantam Bagels really started this trend by introducing stuffed bagels to the world. Instead of having to top a bagel, the bagels were literally stuffed with cream cheese, fillings, etc. Brilliant.
For these bites, I make them ahead in a big batch, and then morning-of I just grab two and enjoy! They’re portable, don’t need to be heated up (you can if you prefer it), and keep well in the fridge for a few days (airtight container). They’re awesome for kiddos too, and you can totally change out the fillings.
You could do plain cream cheese, or go the sweet route and mix in sugar, cinnamon, and raisins. If you’re super into everything bagels, mix everything seasoning into the cream cheese AND put it on top and live your best life.
It’s gotta be healthier
You guessed it – two ingredient dough to the rescue. The combination of self-rising flour (or all purpose flour + baking powder + salt) and nonfat greek yogurt yields the perfect bagel consistency with way less fat/calories/points. Whereas a regular bagel is 11 points, plus 3-4 points for cream cheese, these bagel bombs are just 2 points a pop (and they are GOOD). Besides just the dough, the filling is made with either Neufchatel cheese (has 1/3 the fat of cream cheese and honestly tastes the same) or light cream cheese, which helps reduce the points as well.
And it’s gotta be good
Trust me, it is. If you’re looking for some more recipes that showcase the magic of two ingredient dough, look no further:
- Healthier Stromboli
- PB & J Mini Buns
- Everything Bagel Dip
- Healthier Funfetti Monkey Bread
- Healthier Funfetti Cinnamon Buns
Healthy Smoked Salmon Bagel Bombs
- Mixing Bowls
- Cookie Sheet
- 1 cup nonfat greek yogurt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup Neufchatel or light cream cheese
- 2 oz smoked salmon lox
- 1 egg beaten
- Everything bagel seasoning optional
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt and whisk together
- Add greek yogurt into four mixture and stir together until a shaggy dough forms
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead 10-15 times, until uniform. Dough will be sticky
- Cut dough into 10 pieces and roll each piece into a ball
- Finely chop smoked salmon and mix with cream cheese
- Flatten each dough ball (should be roughly 2.5 inches in diameter), and fill each flattened dough ball with 1/2 tbsp of the cream cheese mixture
- Seal the dough, pressing the edge and rolling it so you’re left with a sealed ball of dough with the filling inside
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until bagel bombs are lightly golden. Let cool before enjoying (nobody likes liquid cream cheese magma). Enjoy!