I always like to start blogs off with what inspired a recipe. In this case, hilariously, it was that I bought some really lame chocolate peanut butter marshmallows. Since I bake a lot, I generally don’t buy too many desserts from the grocery store, but when I saw chocolate marshmallows dipped in peanut butter, I thought they sounded too good to pass up. Well, long story short, they weren’t good. No real peanut butter flavor, a weird artificial taste, and left me craving the combo of chocolate and peanut butter – so I got to work. The end result is these Peanut Butter Krispie Cups which are actually super satisfying!
The base is a peanut butter rice krispie treat, drizzled with some chocolate. I use puffed rice instead of crisp rice, which also gives these a super soft, chewy texture that I love. You can use crisp rice if you want a more traditional treat as well!
Making Peanut Butter Krispie Cups
Just like a traditional rice krispie, these are a simple, no-bake recipe. You’ll melt down the marshmallows with butter, add vanilla, mix in peanut butter powder, add it to your puffed rice, and then form, chill, add chocolate and enjoy! To make these, you’ll need:
- Puffed rice (or you could use crisp rice or any neutral cereal like Kix)
- Butter (or you can sub a vegan butter)
- Vanilla extract
- Peanut butter powder (I use this one)
- Chocolate chips, for the topping (If following WW, I recommend Lily’s or Swerve chocolate chips)
Measure out puffed rice in a large mixing bowl and spray your muffin pan (or you can use a 9×9 pan) with cooking spray or line with parchment paper to easily remove treats. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium low heat. Once melted, add marshmallows and mix consistently until marshmallow mixture is smooth. Remove from heat. Mix in vanilla, then add peanut butter powder and mix until combined. Pour over puffed rice, mix together, and quickly pour mixture into sprayed muffin tin or pan. Pat down to even out. Melt chocolate in 30 second increments in the microwave, mixing until smooth. Drizzle chocolate over krispie cups (I put it in a sandwich bag and cut the tip for an easy drizzle), finish with sprinkles if you wish, and let harden in the fridge for an hour. Store in an airtight container at room temp for up to 5 days and enjoy!
Peanut Butter Krispie Cups
- Mixing Bowl
- Large Saucepan
- Muffin Tin or 9×9 pan
- 3 cups puffed rice cereal or sub crisped rice
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 3/4 cups marshmallow
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp peanut butter powder
- 1/4 cup sugar free chocolate chips about 120 Lily's Chips if using
- Spray muffin pan or 9×9 pan well with cooking spray or line with parchment paper to prevent sticking. Measure out puffed rice into a bowl.
- Oven medium low heat, melt butter. Once melted, add marshmallows and mix consistently until mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and mix well. Add peanut butter powder and mix in until fully incorporated.
- Pour mixture over puffed rice and quickly mix to fully coat. Pour mixture into muffin tin (or pan) immediately and pat down to level.
- Melt chocolate chips in 30 second intervals in the microwave, mixing well until smooth. Drizzle chocolate over krispie cups.
- Let cups harden in the fridge for an hour, then serve/store at room temp. Enjoy!