I have been trying to make a healthier corn dog for SO LONG. It’s one of my favorite foods, and frankly, the OG version is not something I want to eat regularly. It’s pretty greasy and leaves me feeling blah. However, I love the sweetness of cornbread with the smoky, meaty flavor of a hot dog, so I was determined. Finally, after many (and I mean MANY) fails, I’m so excited about these Healthy Corn Dog Muffins.
These take traditional corn dogs and turn them into portable, packable little muffins that are lighter but still delicious!
Making Healthy Corn Dog Muffins
Whereas typical corn dogs are deep fried, these are baked, so you just need to mix, pour, bake, and enjoy! To make these, you’ll need:
- Yellow corn meal and all purpose flour as the base of the muffins
- Baking powder and baking soda to help give these rise/texture
- Unsweetened apple sauce and brown sugar substitute (or brown sugar if not on WW) for sweetness
- 1 egg to bind everything
- Honey for flavor
- Unsweetened almond milk to give these great texture
- Light hot dogs cut up – you can use any, but I used light beef/pork mix that are 1 WW point each
You’ll start by combining your egg and sugar and creaming them together. Add honey, applesauce, and almond milk and combine. Set aside and combine all of your dry ingredients in another bowl. Combine wet and dry ingredients until you have a smooth batter. Chop up hot dogs into small pieces and fold into the batter. Grease muffin tin well and put roughly 2 heaping tbsp of batter in each. Bake at 375 for 20-25 min until a toothpick comes out clean, let cool slightly, and enjoy!
Healthy Corn Dog Muffins
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar substitute
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3-4 light hot dogs cut up
- Preheat oven to 375F, spray a muffin pan with non stick spray.
- In a bowl whisk together your egg and brown sugar. Add in honey, apple sauce and milk and mix well.
- In another bowl, stir together corn meal, flour, baking powder & soda.
- Chop hot dogs and fold into the batter. Divide batter between greased muffin tins (about 2 healing tbsp per cup).
- Bake 20-25 min, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool slightly and enjoy!