This most recent Mother’s Day, I was tasked with bringing desserts. I broke out some of the old favorites, like these lemon blueberry cupcakes, but I really wanted to try something new that anyone could enjoy. With some family members who are gluten free, have various intolerances, etc, I knew I wanted to create something allergy friendly but still delicious. These blueberry pie bites are just the ticket. They’re sweet, fruity, crunchy, and perfectly bite sized. They’re also vegan, gluten free, and weight watchers friendly at just 2 points each (or 2 for 5). The star of this recipe is the homemade blueberry jam, which is so simple, has just 3 ingredients, and would be good on just about anything.
Making Blueberry Pie Bites
These bites are super simple, with just 7 total ingredients. First, you’ll make your crust, which requires:
- Almond flour as the main base
- Rice flour (or coconut flour) to help add texture
- Coconut oil, melted
- Maple syrup
Just mix them all together until you have a crumbly dough. Spray your mini muffin pan well with cooking spray and put 1/2 tbsp in each well. Press into a small crust shape (you want the bottom covered and for it to come about halfway up the sides) and bake at 350F for 8 minutes. Remove and let cool and get working on your blueberry filling.
To make the blueberry filling, you just need 3 ingredients. The end result is a sweet, tart, thick, luscious jam (that seriously, you could put on anything). The jam is made with:
- Blueberries, fresh or frozen, which have been rinsed and dried
- Lemon juice, which will help thicken the jam by lowering its pH and helping it set
Simply combine the blueberries and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil (stir consistently). Once boiled, add lemon juice and reduce to a simmer and let the mixture simmer, stirring frequently, until thick – about 20-25 minutes. As it cools it will set more.
To assemble, just scoop some jam into each little crust. Dust with some powdered sugar or top with dollops of whipped cream and enjoy!
Blueberry Pie Bites
- Mixing Bowls
- Small Saucepan
- Mini Muffin Pan
- 1 1/2 cup Almond flour blanched/fine
- 1 tbsp rice flour or coconut flour
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 12 oz blueberries cleaned drained and patted down with towel
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2.5 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Spray mini muffin tin well with cooking spray. Add roughly 1/2 tbsp flour mixture into each mini muffin tin and press to create a crust (you want the bottom covered and small edges like a tiny pie crust).
- Bake at 350F for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool while you make your filling.
- Wash and dry blueberries. Add blueberries and sugar to a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir consistently until mixture comes to a boil.
- Add lemon juice. Reduce mixture to a simmer and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes, until thick. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Fill cooled crusts with roughly 1 tsp of blueberry filling. Finish with a dusting of powdered sugar or a homemade whipped cream and enjoy!
- 1 pie bite for 2 SP
- 2 pie bites for 5 SP
- 3 pie bites for 7 SP