I’m an absolute sucker for anything sweet and spicy, and these sweet sriracha chicken pita sandwiches absolutely deliver. The chicken is spicy and a little bit sweet, paired with a creamy, tangy coleslaw and some fresh green onion, all wrapped up in a soft pita. These are perfect for lunch or dinner, they’re good hot or cold, and you’re sure to want to go back for seconds!
Making the chicken
Making these pitas really just requires making the two main components and then assembling when you’re ready to eat. First you’ll make the chicken bites themselves, which require:
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1-1.3 lb)
- brown sugar replacement (I use swerve, or you can use regular brown sugar)
- rice vinegar
- coconut aminos (or low sodium soy sauce)
- Fresh ginger
- Fresh garlic
- 1 Tsp corn starch mixed with 1 Tsp water to make a slurry that you’ll use to thicken your sauce
Cut chicken into bite sized pieces. Season chicken with some salt and pepper and spray well with cooking spray. Cook chicken according to your preferred method, I usually do it on the stove top over medium high heat or in the air fryer at 375 for 10 to 12 minutes. Make sure the chicken is at an internal temperature of 165° F. Set aside.
In a small sauce pan, combine all sauce ingredients except for the cornstarch slurry. Stir to combine ingredients and heat over medium heat until just beginning to bubble. Add cornstarch slurry and mix in until sauce thickens, about one minute. Remove from heat, add to chicken, and toss to coat.
Making healthy coleslaw
I love the combination of the sweet and spicy chicken bites with a cool, creamy, tangy coleslaw.
To make this slaw, you’ll need:
- 2.5 cups slaw
- light Mayo
- celery seed
- powdered sugar
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
In a medium mixing bowl, combine all dressing ingredients, taste, and adjust seasonings as desired. Add in coleslaw and toss to fully coat slaw and dressing. Let sit in the fridge until ready to use.
Assembling sweet sriracha chicken pitas
Now that you’ve got your components ready, you just need to throw them together to make a delicious sandwich that’s perfect for lunch or dinner!
I used Josephs pitas because they’re only one point each on WW, but you could also use a wrap, your favorite toasted bread, or any other pita pocket brand. Just fill with the sweet Sriracha chicken and top with coleslaw and some fresh chopped green onion. If you wish, you can also add a drizzle of light ranch to add a bit more creaminess, it’s so yummy!
Store the components separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator and assemble when you’re ready to eat them. Hope you love these as much as I do!
Sweet Sriracha Chicken Pitas
- Mixing Bowls
- Air Fryer
- 4 light pitas
- 2 large chicken breasts cut into chunks and cooked
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 3 tbsp brown sugar replacement
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1/2 Tsp ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- Cornstarch slurry – 1 Tsp corn starch mixed with 1 Tsp water
- 4 tbsp light ranch dressing optional
- 2.5 cups slaw
- 1/3 cup light Mayo
- 1/4 Tsp celery seed
- 1/2 Tsp powdered sugar
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- In a medium mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients for the coleslaw dressing in the mix together well until uniform. Add slaw and toss to coat. Let’s sit in the fridge while you prep everything else.
- Cut your chicken into chunks, season with salt and pepper, spray well with cooking spray and cook until fully done using your favorite method (I air fry for 14 min at 360F).
- Combine all sauce ingredients except for cornstarch slurry in a small sauce pan and mixed together.
- Stir sauce over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, until just starting to bubble. Add cornstarch slurry and mix for about a minute, until sauce thickens. Remove from heat. Toss chicken chunks in sauce and coat fully.
- To assemble each pita, add one serving of chicken, one serving of coleslaw, and garnish with chopped green onion. Optional: add a drizzle of light ranch!