I recently went to a new restaurant in Philly and ordered a very unassuming pizza. It was listed as ‘Sopressatta’ and nothing else. What came out? Quite possibly the greatest pizza flavor combo my brain could imagine. Melty cheese, salty pepperoni, tangy tomato sauce, and sweet pepper jelly. Yep, pepper jelly was the secret sauce that took this pizza over the edge and made for the perfect flavor combination. Naturally, I had to recreate it, and put a healthier spin on it. Behold: Sweet and Spicy Pepperoni Pizza. A lighter, WW-friendly pizza that’s cheesy, tangy, sweet, spicy, and all around amazing. 4 points per glorious slice and worth every one.
A lighter crust
One of the biggest things lightening up this pizza is the crust. Instead of your typical crust, this one is made with a greek yogurt base, so it’s higher in protein and lower in WW points. Trust me, the texture and flavor is amazing and is complemented super well by the sweet and spicy toppings. To make the crust you’ll need:
- Flour, baking powder, and salt (which makes self rising flour)
- Nonfat greek yogurt, I use Fage 0%
- Eggs to bind it and give it a great texture
- Red pepper flakes for some kick
Combine all of the ingredients in a stand mixer with a dough hook or using a wooden spoon. Stir together until a solid dough forms. Flour the outside well before you work with it, and have some extra flour on hand. Prepare a baking sheet by either using a silicone baking sheet, parchment paper, or spraying well with cooking spray. Flour a surface well and roll your dough out with a rolling pin most of the way. Transfer to baking sheet and finish stretching the dough out, leaving yourself a thicker outer layer to be the crust. Spray with cooking spray and bake for 20 minutes, until just lightly turning golden.
Making sweet and spicy pepperoni pizza
Once you have your crust made and par-baked (partially baked), it’s time to top it. First, you’ll lay down your sauce and spread it so it fully covers the base. It should be a pretty thin layer, which ensures your pizza doesn’t get soggy. Then, cheese- all the cheese. Make sure you’ve got even coverage with the cheese, then move on to pepperoni. I arrange mine to ensure that every bite of pizza has some pepperoni in it. Lastly, pepper jelly. I found the easiest way to ensure even coverage was to mix it up first so it’s less congealed and put little blobs all over. As the pizza cooks, the jam melts all over and oh my heavens is it good. Pop it back in the oven and let it all bake for 8-10 minutes, until the cheese is fully melted. Top with some shredded fresh basil and red pepper flakes and dive in!
Sweet and Spicy Pepperoni Pizza
- Mixing Bowl
- Stand Mixer with dough hook (optional)
- 9×13 Baking Sheet
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 cup Greek yogurt nonfat
- 1.5 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1 1/2 cups fat free mozzarella cheese
- Basil fresh chopped
- 34 turkey pepperoni 2 oz
- 2.5 tbsp pepper jelly
- red pepper flakes for topping
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Stir together. Add greek yogurt, red pepper flakes, and egg, and either by hand or using a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment, mix until your dough is uniform. Flour the outside of the dough, as well as your surface and rolling pin, as the dough will be sticky.
- Line 9×13 baking sheet with parchment paper, silicone baking mats, or spray VERY well with cooking spray. Using a rolling pin, roll your dough out until it mostly fills the size of the baking sheet. Carefully transfer dough to baking sheet, and continue to roll/spread it until it roughly fills out the sheet. It’s ok if it’s not perfect!
- Spray with cooking spray and bake for 20 minutes, until just lightly turning golden.
- Top with pizza sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni. Add little blobs of pepper jelly all over the pizza, and sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Bake 8-10 minutes, until cheese is fully melted. Garnish with fresh cut basil, grated Parmesan, etc. Cut into 10 slices and enjoy!
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in the oven or air fry at 370 for 5 minutes to crisp up.
- 1 slice for 4 points
- 2 slices for 8 points
- 3 slices for 12 points
- 1 slice for 5 points
- 2 slices for 9 points
- 3 slices for 14 points