Younger me would not believe that current me is saying this – but I LOVE Brussels Sprouts. They may just be my favorite vegetable in all of their forms – steamed, air fried, deep fried, etc. However, I never really knew what to do with shaved sprouts. I always see the big bags of shaved Brussels Sprouts in the grocery store and was determined to make something with them. Then, I went to dinner in Philly one night, and ended up getting a shaved Brussels Sprouts salad which was DELICIOUS. So naturally, I went home and had to try to recreate it.
Not to brag, but my version may just be better?! It’s such a good mix of sweet, salty, cheesy, acidic – really everything. I add some chopped chicken breast and it makes for an awesome meal on its own, but this would also make for a great appetizer or side dish.
Making Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
This salad is a breeze to make, since there’s not much cooking involved (especially if you’re not adding chicken). You’ll mix up your base ingredients, make dressing, and then combine about 30 min before you want to eat!
For the salad, you’ll need:
- Shaved brussels sprouts
- Goat cheese crumbles
- Dried cranberries
- Chopped apple (I use honeycrisp)
- Pecans (toasted adds great flavor)
- Chicken, cooked and chopped (optional)
Combine the base ingredients and set aside while you make your dressing.
For the dressing, you’ll need:
- Apple cider vinegar (you could also use balsamic if you prefer the flavor, but I love the flavor profile that apple gives here)
- Olive oil
- Course ground dijon, which gives great flavor and texture
- Honey, to sweeten the dressing and offset some acidity
Just whisk it all up and toss the salad in the dressing. For best flavor, I like to dress the salad 20-30 minutes before eating, so the shaved sprouts have time to soften a bit and absorb the flavor of the dressing. If not enjoying right away, wait to dress until it’s time to eat! Store leftovers separately in an airtight container in the fridge.
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
- Mixing Bowls
- 12 ounces shaved brussels sprouts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup roasted pecans
- 1 pound chicken cut into small chunks, cooked and cooled
- 1 Honeycrisp apple peeled and cut
- 1/4 cup goat cheese crumbles
- 5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoon honey
- 1.5 tablespoon coarse ground Dijon mustard
- Combine salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Combine dressing ingredients and whisk or shake vigorously to combine.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix together (ideally 20-30 minutes before serving so the sprouts can absorb the dressing). Enjoy!