Remember that TikTok pasta that went viral? It involved baking lots of tomatoes and feta and throwing it over pasta, and it was delicious. I made a healthier version using goat cheese because I was so into it. It’s a super comforting, warm, yummy dish, and the flavors go so well together that it got me thinking – can I do something else with this? That’s how this Roasted Tomato Feta Soup was created. It takes the same base concept from the viral pasta – roast, blend, and enjoy, but this time instead of pasta, the end result is a creamy, flavor-packed soup (that’s good for you, too)!
Making Roasted Tomato Feta Soup
This soup couldn’t be easier to make, and it’s delicious hot or cold the next day. It reheats well, and makes for a fantastic lunch or dinner. I like to pair it with a protein (like my Greek Chicken Meatballs) to make it a filling meal.
To make the soup, you’ll start by roasting your vegetables. Coarsely chop your onions, tomatoes, and add a few whole cloves of garlic. Toss it all in some olive oil, season liberally with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
Roast vegetables at 375 for 35 minutes, until tomatoes and onion are very soft. Top with 5 oz crumbled feta (I use fat free) and put back in the oven for 10 minutes to let the cheese melt. If you’re using a feta block instead of crumbled, you can put it in for the entire 40 minutes with the veggies, just like the pasta. Save about 1 oz of feta (roughly 2 tbsp) for topping the soup!
Once vegetables are roasted, throw everything into a blender (or a big pot + immersion blender) and add 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes, 1.5 cups low sodium chicken broth, 2 tbsp tomato paste, and 2 tbsp light cream cheese. Blend everything until smooth. Top soup with crumbled feta, chopped fresh basil, and some good olive oil. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Roasted Tomato Feta Soup
- 10 tomatoes Roma, cut in half
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 sweet onion quartered
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 6 oz feta fat free, 1 oz reserved for topping
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1.5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp light cream cheese
- fresh basil for topping
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Coarsely chop tomatoes, onion. Toss tomatoes (roma and cherry), onion, and garlic cloves in olive oil, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. If using full block of feta, remove 2 tbsp worth and put entire block in to roast with vegetables. If using crumbles, move to next step.
- Roast vegetables for 35 minutes, until tomatoes and onion are soft. Add 5 oz feta crumbles and roast for additional 10 minutes.
- Add all roasted vegetables + feta into a blender (or large pot + immersion blender) and add crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato paste, cream cheese. Blend until smooth.
- Top with crumbled feta, fresh basil, and olive oil. Makes 6 servings of roughly 1.5 cups each. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.