PSL lovers, rejoice! The weather is cooling down (and boy has this Summer been a scorcher), and the sweet scents of Fall are creeping in. Perhaps the most iconic Fall flavor – pumpkin spice. Personally (I know I’m going to catch some flack for this), I don’t love the Starbucks PSL. I find it to be way too strong, and its loaded with lots of sugar, preservatives, etc etc. But fear not – I’ve got the perfect way to get your pumpkin fix and it’s creamy, indulgent, and WW friendly. This Pumpkin Spice Iced Coffee Protein Shake is just 1 WW SP on all plans, made with a super simple pumpkin spice syrup that you’re going to want to make all season long.
Making the Pumpkin Spice Iced Coffee Protein Shake
There’s a reason I make an Iced Coffee Protein Shake every morning. It’s super quick, simple, and tastes delicious. it gives me my caffeine fix and enough protein to keep me full until lunch. It takes about 2 minutes to put together once you have all of your components:
- Ice. Duh. Just 3-5 cubes will do – you don’t want them to water it down as they melt. If you like your coffee strong, freeze some coffee in an ice cube tray and use those as your cubes. This way, as they melt, your coffee gets stronger instead of getting watered down.
- Iced coffee/cold brew. I really like Starbucks Blonde Roast, as it’s super mild, but I’ve made this shake with La Colombe Iced Coffee, Trader Joe’s brand, Stok Cold Brew, and iced coffee that I’ve made myself.
- Unsweetened almond milk. I use about 3-4 tbsp, which is 0 WW points. You can use any milk you want and it’ll be delicious – I’ve made this with oat milk, regular milk, Nutpods dairy free creamer (just 1 tbsp then), etc. There is a Pumpkin Spice Nutpods flavor if you’re looking to amp up the Fall flavor even more.
- Premier Protein Shake. I use Cafe Latte flavor, which you can get in bulk on amazon (here’s the link). I use 1/2 of the shake, which is 1 WW SP.
- Pumpkin Spice Syrup, which is totally sugar-free thanks to this brown sugar substitute. You can use code FOODBYTHEGRAM for a discount. You’ll combine it with water, pumpkin spice, and pumpkin puree, boil it, simmer it, and reduce it to a thicker syrup. I then strain it through a cheesecloth to remove any chunks from the pumpkin, but this step is optional. This syrup is sweet, WW friendly, and big on pumpkin spice flavor without any of the preservatives etc.
- Fat free Reddi Wip, which is 0 SP for 2 tbsp. I use this to top it off and add a little creaminess.
- A shake of pumpkin spice!
I pour it all of the liquids into the glass, use a reusable metal straw (like these) to stir it all together, and top with the whipped cream. The shake is 1 WW SP of pure morning bliss.
Pumpkin Spice Iced Coffee Protein Shake
- Small Saucepan
- 3-5 Ice cubes
- 1/2 cup Iced coffee
- 1/2 Premier Protein Cafe Latte protein shake or any flavor you like
- 3 tbsp Almond milk unsweetened, plain or vanilla
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar substitute I use Lakanto
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Pumpkin puree unsweetened
- 1.5 tsp Pumpkin spice
- 2 tbsp Fat free Reddi Wip
- 1 shake Pumpkin spice
- In a small saucepan, combine pumpkin puree, water, brown sugar substitute, and water. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce to a simmer and reduce by half (about 7-10 minutes), until thick and darkened. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Strain through a cheesecloth or very fine mesh strainer for a thinner syrup.
- Put ice cubes in glass, and pour coffee in first. Add almond milk and 1/2 protein shake and stir together. Add pumpkin spice syrup (I do about 2 tsp, but adjust to your own taste). Store leftover syrup in an airtight container in the fridge for a week.
- Top with 2 tbsp fat free Reddi Wip. Enjoy immediately!