This pumpkin spice cupcakes recipe is a triple threat, truly. First, it’s delicious. This is the most important threat. Second, it’s lighter. If you’re following WW especially, these cupcakes clock in around 5 points each, filled (or, 4 points if you just want to eat them as muffins). Third, it’s SO EASY. Really, this is one of the easiest recipes on my site- it’s foolproof.
So lets talk about these magical little cupcakes.
That’s essentially what it is. 3 ingredients make for this super fluffy, moist cake:
- A box of cake mix. In this case, I used Pillsbury Moist Supreme Perfectly Pumpkin Cake Mix.
- Nonfat plain Greek yogurt. I prefer Fage.
- Water. Use filtered because you love yourself.
Then, it’s really as easy as mix, fill, bake. Magic! You’ll have pumpkin spice cupcakes before you know it.
To fill or not to fill
It’s your show, so you can choose to fill these or not. In my case, I filled them with a lightened up, sweetened cream cheese filling. It’s just a mix of light cream cheese and powdered sugar, so it tastes just like cream cheese frosting but without all of the additional butter, sugar, etc.
If you choose to fill these, you’re looking at roughly 1 point for the filling, because it’s only about 1/2 tsp.
If you choose not to fill these, they’re 4 points. If you choose not to fill them, you can eat them as muffins for breakfast (they’re delish!). I like to spread a little almond butter on one and it’s a filling, super satisfying breakfast.
Frost it up
I told you this recipe was simple, I wasn’t kidding – the frosting is just some light cool whip and a dusting of pumpkin spice. That’s it. The cool whip adds a little creamy, sweet element that plays super well with the pumpkin spiced cake and cream cheese filling. All together, these taste like they should be really bad for you because they’re so indulgent, but really, they’re just a few clever hacks rolled into one.
More WW-friendly desserts
Following WW but still want to satisfy your sweet tooth? You came to the right gal. Check out some of my other WW-friendly dessert recipes:
- Light Maple Walnut Biscotti
- Pumpkin Fluff Dip
- Healthy Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes
- Healthier Chocolate Dirt Cupcakes
- Lighter Pumpkin Chocolate Scones
- Light Cereal Milk Baked Donuts
Lighter Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
- Mixing Bowls
- Muffin Pan
- 1 box Pillsbury Moist Supreme Perfectly Pumpkin Cake Mix
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1/2 cup light cream cheese
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup light whipped topping
- Pumpkin spice optional, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Combine cake mix, greek yogurt, water and stir to fully incorporate the yogurt and water into the mix, ensuring there are no lumps.
- Let cool completely before frosting/filling. While cupcakes cool, mix cream cheese with powdered sugar and vanilla to create cream cheese frosting center.
- Once cool, gentle cut out the middle of the cupcakes and fill with cream cheese mixture. Put tops back on (optional) and frost with 1 tbsp light whipped topping. Finish with a dash of pumpkin spice and enjoy!
- Store in airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- You can use any cake mix you like and the recipe should still work the same. I’ve made it with vanilla and funfetti cake mixes, and both have come out delicious!
- If you’d like to use this same base to create a layer cake that’s still WW-friendly, check out this post for my pumpkin spice latte cake recipe.
- If you don’t have pumpkin spice, you can easily make your own.