Lasagna is high up there on my list of ultimate comfort foods. The combo of meat, cheese, and sauce is always so satisfying. However, making lasagna can be a real chore. It’s a decent amount of prep work, and then you’re looking at a 45+ minute bake time before you can actually eat. Well, fear not – this Lasagna Soup is all of the flavor if your favorite dish, but WAY quicker and lighter. It’s a perfect weeknight meal that can be whipped up and on the table in 30 minutes.
Making Lasagna Soup
This soup is super quick and easy – you’ll combine everything in a large stock pot (like this one) and cook it all together. Then just top and serve! To make the soup base, you’ll need:
- Sausage (I prefer chicken sausage)
- Spinach (fresh or frozen is fine, if using frozen, just thaw/drain it
- Onion, chopped
- 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 17 oz can of crushed tomato
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 4-6 lasagna noodles, broken into large chunks
In a large pot over medium heat, saute sausage and onion in a bit of olive oil until sausage is mostly cooked through and onion begins to get soft. Add garlic and give it a mix. Add tomato sauce, crushed tomato, chicken broth, and Italian seasoning. Stir all together. bring to just boiling and add lasagna noodles, and cook pasta in the soup until it’s soft (according to package instructions). Taste and add salt/pepper as needed (this will vary depending on the sausage/chicken broth you use). Once the pasta is done, add spinach and stir it in. Now the soup is ready to enjoy!
Top soup with a big dollop of ricotta cheese, some grated parmesan, and some fresh basil. Enjoy!
- Stock Pot
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 lb chicken sausage removed from casing and broken up
- 17 oz crushed tomato 1 can
- 2 cups spinach fresh
- 5-6 lasagna noodles broken up
- 1/4 Tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil or cooking spray
- 8 tbsp Ricotta
- 4 tbsp parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, spray with a bit of cooking spray (or use olive oil) and break up your loose sausage, mixing frequently to cook it most of the way through. Add the onion and saute all together for 3-4 minutes, until sausage is mostly browned and onion is soft. Add garlic and mix. Add your tomato sauce, crushed tomato, Italian seasoning and chicken broth. Stir together.
- Bring to a gentle boil, break up lasagna noodles, and add to soup. Cook pasta according to package instructions (test as you go – make sure it's soft!). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Once pasta is cooked, add spinach and stir it all together.
- Serve warm, top each bowl with 2 tbsp ricotta, 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, and some fresh chopped basil. Enjoy!