If you’ve never had Muddy Buddies (or puppy chow, as many call it), you are MISSING OUT. They’re one of my all-time favorite snacks, and they’re the perfect combo of sweet and salty and crunchy all in one. You can buy prepackaged ones, but they’re often loaded with preservatives and weird ingredients I can’t personally pronounce. Regular muddy buddy recipes, while delicious, are tough if you’re following programs like WW. A typical serving will run you 8-10 points (which for many, is a huge chunk of their daily budget).
Don’t worry y’all, I’ve been experimenting like a fiend and I have a solution. My Healthy Muddy Buddies are just 5 ingredients, are gluten free, require no baking, and they’re 4 WW SP for 1/4 cup. They taste just like regular Muddy Buddies, but a few key ingredient swaps make these a much lighter alternative!
Making Healthy Muddy Buddies
This recipe is super similar to a regular Muddy Buddies recipe, but with wayyy less sugar and a few sneaky swaps.
The base of this recipe is unsweetened corn Chex cereal, which is also gluten free. You can use wheat chex too, which have more fiber, but they’re also higher in WW points (6 vs 4 for a cup). Then, instead of using regular chocolate chips, I used Lily’s chocolate, which is a WW friendly alternative. I mix it with a bit of peanut butter ( a normal recipe is a 50/50 ratio, but I use far less), just enough to get it runny and melted. Then, coat the Chex in the melted chocolate mixture. Lastly, instead of just coating them in loads of powdered sugar, I coat them in a mixture of powdered sugar and powdered peanut butter, which adds even more peanut-y flavor, a bit more protein, and cuts down on the overall sugar content of these.
Once coated, pop these in the fridge to harden up. The end result? Sweet, salty, crunchy goodness that you’d never know was healthier. Enjoy!
Healthy Muddy Buddies
- Microwave Safe Bowl
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups
- 2.5 cups Corn Chex Cereal
- 3.8 oz Lily's Chocolate Chips about 1/2 cup
- 2 tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1/3 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 tbsp Powdered Peanut Butter
- Combine peanut butter and chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second increments, stirring until melted.
- Add Chex to a large mixing bowl and coat in melted chocolate mixture. Gently toss to ensure cereal is fully coated.
- Let cool slightly (5 min) and then toss with powdered peanut butter and powdered sugar to fully coat pieces. You want to have some chunks and clusters!
- Let chill in the fridge for 1 hour to harden fully. Making 10 servings of ~1/4 cup each. Enjoy!