Quesadillas are seriously one of my favorite foods. The combo of meat and veggies and sauces and tons of melted cheese is just the best. However, your average restaurant quesadilla isn’t the healthiest – especially on WW. A steak quesadilla from a restaurant can run you 42 points – eek! But don’t worry- you can have your quesadilla and eat it too. My healthy chicken quesadillas are just 3 points for an entire quesadilla (3 big slices). Paired with a cilantro lime crema + some hot sauce or salsa – these are a slam dunk. Hope you love them too!
Making healthy chicken quesadillas
These are perfect for a weeknight dinner because they come together pretty quickly, and you can do some of the prep ahead of time. First you want to cook your chicken. I’ll usually air fry boneless skinless chicken breasts (season with salt, pepper, garlic, and chili powder or pre-mixed taco seasoning and air fry at 375 for 15-18 min, until the internal temp reaches 165F). Then, let them cool slightly and chop them up. You can also buy a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken and pick out the white meat. Lastly, you can swap the protein entirely for shrimp, steak, tofu, or just extra veggies!
Next, you’ll chop and pre-cook your veggies. I used red and green pepper as well as some frozen corn and onion, diced it finely, seasoned with a little sprinkle of low salt taco seasoning, and sautéed over medium heat for about five minutes, until everything was soft. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Throw your diced chicken and veggies in a bowl together and mix!
This is a great time to prep your crema – just combine nonfat Greek yogurt with light Mayo, salt, garlic, fresh chopped cilantro, and fresh lime zest and lime juice. Adjust seasonings to your taste and put in the fridge until you’re ready to enjoy.
Now it’s time to assemble! Take your tortilla and lay it flat (I used Tumaros low carb wraps to keep these WW friendly, but use any tortilla you like!). Sprinkle a bit of cheese on just one half, and then cover that with some of the chicken/veggie mix. Top with additional cheese, and then fold the other half of the tortilla over, so you have a half-moon shape.
Spray a pan well with cooking spray over medium heat and pan fry your quesadillas until browned and cheese is melted – about 2-3 min per side. Then slice, add your desired toppings (I serve them with some avocado, salsa, cilantro lime crema, and hot sauce), and enjoy!
Healthy Chicken Quesadillas
- Mixing Bowls
- Frying Pan
- 6 low carb tortillas
- 1 cup corn cut off the cob
- 1 cup red pepper diced
- 1 cup green pepper diced
- 3/4 cup onion diced
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup chicken cooked and cooled and diced
- 2 cups fat free cheddar
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp light Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Cilantro
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 Lime juice and zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Combine all crema ingredients in a mixing bowl and adjust seasonings to taste. Let sit in fridge until you’re ready to use.
- Season and cook chicken using your preferred method, chop into small pieces, and set aside. Chop all of your vegetables, season with taco seasoning, and saute peppers, onion, and corn together over medium heat until just soft. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine chicken and sauteed veggies in a bowl and mix together. Add cheese to mixture and mix well to combine.
- Put 2/3 cup of filling onto half each tortilla, then fold tortilla over to cover.
- Spray frying pan well and pan fry each tortilla for roughly 2 minutes on each side, until browned and cheese is melted.
- Cut each quesadilla into 3 pieces, serve with your choice of toppings and cilantro lime crema. Enjoy!