Y’all, I did it. I did it I did it I did it. I made a healthy caesar salad that uses all real, good-for-you ingredients and tastes GOOD. I can’t tell you how many sad salads I’ve eaten in the quest for a Caesar that was creamy, salty, crave-able but better for you. Too many times the dressing was so bland and didn’t taste like actual Caesar at all, until now. This dressing is high in protein, made with the real stuff (yes, I mean anchovies), and tastes just like the real deal.
If you follow WW, a typical Caesar salad runs you 9-17 points for a salad. Mine runs you closer to 3/4 points, plus you get points back for the greens (woo!).
Making Healthy Caesar Dressing
The real star of this salad is the dressing, which frankly, you can put on anything. I made a big batch and put some on salad, tossed some into a wrap, and was a happy camper. To make the dressing, you’ll need:
- nonfat Greek yogurt, which is the base that makes this salad creamy and higher in protein
- grated Parmesan, which makes it salty and cheesy
- lemon juice
- dijon mustard
- anchovy filets, which you’ll puree into the dressing
- olive oil, I use the oil that comes from the anchovies so it’s nice and salty too
- black pepper
You’ll toss it all in a blender, blend until smooth, and enjoy! Store in the fridge.
The salad itself is then comprised of lettuce, toasted breadcrumbs (less points/calories than croutons, and I love the crunch), chopped anchovies, and some chicken for protein. Feel free to substitute any protein source you like (shrimp would be great here), or enjoy this on its own!
Healthy Caesar Salad
- Mixing Bowl
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp Dijon
- 3 anchovy filets
- 1 tbsp olive oil from the filets
- 1/2 Tsp black pepper
- 8 cups romaine lettuce
- 8 tbsp panko breadcrumbs sprayed with cooking spray, toasted or air fried until browned
- 8 anchovy filets chopped
- 1.5 lb chicken breast cooked, cooled, sliced
- Season and cook chicken to an internal temp of 165F using preferred method (I like to season with salt/pepper/garlic, spray with cooking spray, air fry at 375 for ~15 min). Set aside to cool, slice once cooled.
- Spray bread crumbs with cooking spray and toast, bake, or air fry for ~5 min until they're golden brown. Set aside.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Assemble salads: 2 cups of lettuce as a base, top with sliced chicken, top with 2 tbsp toasted breadcrumbs, two chopped anchovy filets, and homemade Caesar dressing. Enjoy!