My Greek Chicken Meatballs are one of my most popular recipes, and for good reason. Despite being easy to throw together, they’re big on flavor (and healthy to boot). If you’re a fan of that recipe, then you are going to LOVE these Greek Chicken Pita Sandwiches. These sandwiches are loaded with flavorful chicken, tangy tzatziki, and fresh veggies, all wrapped up in a soft pita. They’re perfect to throw together for a weeknight meal, and leftovers make for a dang tasty lunch the next day.
Making Greek Chicken Pita Sandwiches
These are simple to throw together, and a lot of it can be done ahead of time so that you can assemble a sandwich at a moment’s notice.
First, you’ll prep and marinate your chicken. You’ll need:
- Boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
- Nonfat Greek yogurt
- Fresh dill (or use dried if you can’t find fresh)
- Lemon juice + zest
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, cumin
Mix up your marinade and toss the chicken in it to fully coat. Let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, but up to 6 hours. Once ready to cook, spray your air fryer tray/basket well and air fry at 375F for 9-11 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked and has an internal temp of 165F+.
Meanwhile, wash and chop your veggies. I use cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, and some lettuce as a base in the sandwiches. Set aside. Mix up your tzatziki (more details below), and then you’ll put it all together to make the sandwiches! To keep these WW friendly, I use Joseph’s Low Carb Flax Pita (1 WW point each).
The best tzatziki
I personally like to mix up the Tzatziki (a simple Greek yogurt sauce if you’ve never had it) ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge a bit to let the flavors marry. It’s tangy and pairs perfectly with the chicken and veggies in these sandwiches. It consists of:
- Nonfat greek yogurt, I use Fage 0%
- Grated cucumber
- Lemon juice
- White vinegar
- Salt, pepper, dill
Making it is as easy as stir, taste, adjust to your preference, and enjoy! Store tzatziki in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. It’s delicious on these sandwiches as well as just about anything else (and makes a great WW friendly dip for chips/veggies too).
Greek Chicken Pita Sandwiches
- Mixing Bowls
- Air Fryer
- 1 1/3 lb. chicken breast boneless skinless
- 1 tsp dried parsley or fresh, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh dill or 1 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- large pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 lemon zest and juice
- 1 cup Greek yogurt nonfat
- 1/2 cup cucumber grated (about 1/2 large cucumber)
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 lemon zest and juice
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 light pita
- 2 cups butter lettuce or romaine, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 red onion sliced thin
- 3 small cucumbers sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 6 tbsp fat free feta cheese crumbles
- Chop chicken into bite sized pieces. In a medium mixing bowl, combine all marinade ingredients and stir to combine thoroughly. Add chicken and mix to coat. Let marinate 30 minutes up to 6 hours.
- Wash and chop veggies.
- To make Tzatziki, add all ingredients into a small mixing bowl and taste, adjusting seasonings as desired.
- To assemble each sandwich, layer some lettuce onto the pita, then add chicken, spoon some tzatziki, and then add your sliced cucumber, tomato, and onion. Finish with some crumbled feta and fresh dill (and you can add a squeeze of lemon if desired). Enjoy!