I’ve mentioned before that some of my closest friends are gluten free. I’ve heard the same sad story from all of them: “gluten free baked goods stink.” They’re often dry, flavorless, and just don’t have the same texture as their flour-filled counterparts. Naturally, I made it my mission to create gluten free goodies that actually taste good. These Gluten Free Birthday Cake Cookies are the latest in a long line of gluten free experiments, and boy oh boy are they good. Soft and chewy, birthday cake flavor, and made without any flour at all! Each cookie is 4 points on Weight Watchers, making them a perfect treat!
Making Gluten Free Birthday Cake Cookies
These cookies are a breeze to whip up, ready in under an hour (and half of the time they spend chilling in the fridge). To make these, you’ll need:
- Creamy cashew butter that’s been mixed up well. The runnier it is, the flatter your cookies will be from the additional olds, so be sure to incorporate any oil thats separated back into the nut butter.
- Baking powder, baking soda for rise.
- Egg to bind.
- Sugar to make them extra delicious.
- Vanilla extract and almond extract, which will give you that cake batter flavor.
- Almond flour, which helps thicken them up a bit.
- Sprinkles! Because we like to have fun here.
Combine everything in a bowl and mix well. Order doesn’t matter much, just make sure that your almond flour is sifted and not in chunks so you end up with a smooth batter. Once combined, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, put it in the fridge to chill, and preheat your oven and prepare your baking sheet. I always use silicone baking sheets, since they’re reusable, easy to clean, and non stick.
Once your cookie dough has chilled and firmed up, use a cookie scoop or teaspoon to create even balls, spaced roughly 1.5 inches apart. This recipe should yield 20 cookies. Top with some extra sprinkles and bake for 12-14 minutes, until just set. As the cookie cool, they’ll firm up a bit more, but still be chewy and soft. Store in an airtight container at room temperature and enjoy!
Gluten Free Birthday Cake Cookies
- Mixing Bowls
- Baking Sheet
- 3/4 cup creamy cashew butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 tbsp rainbow sprinkles
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cashew butter, egg, vanilla and almond extracts and mix well. In another bowl, combine sugar, almond flour (sifted), baking powder, baking soda, sprinkles. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix to form a solid dough.
- Let dough chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. While it chills, preheat oven to 350F.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until just set. As the cookies cool, they'll firm up but stay chewy. For a crunchier cookie, bake 15 minutes. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.