If you’ve never had it, Pho is is a Vietnamese soup dish consisting of broth, rice noodles, herbs, and meat. It’s also one of my ultimate comfort foods, especially when the chilly weather hits. It’s got lots of herbs and a bright, fresh flavor, plus tender meat and soft rice noodles. It’s equal parts easy and delicious, and this Easy Beef Pho recipe is my take on it – a faux pho if you will. Absolutely not authentic, but definitely tasty. It’s been in our weekly rotation ever since Fall hit, and it’s sure to stay throughout the winter months – I hope you love it too!
Making Easy Beef Pho
Whereas traditional Pho can take a while to make, my version is a super simple, quick version. Simply sauté your ingredients, add your broth, boil season, and enjoy. The best part is that the beef will cook in the broth and comes super tender, and it’s way less labor intensive than cooking it separately.
To make your broth, you’ll need:
- One small onion, peeled and sliced thin
- Fresh ginger and garlic
- Low sodium beef broth and water as the liquid
- Fish sauce and rice vinegar to flavor the broth
In your broth, you’ll also add:
- Rice noodles
- Lean sirloin, sliced into 1/8 inch slices
- Bean sprouts
- Baby bella mushrooms (or white mushrooms), sliced
- Cilantro, mint, basil, jalapeno, and lime to garnish
- Sriracha to garnish, optional
You’ll also only need one big stock pot to make this soup – heck yeah! Just spray the bottom of a large saucepan with cooking spray and sauté the onion, garlic, ginger for about 3 minutes. Add your broth, water, fish sauce, vinegar, and bring to a boil. After about 8 minutes, add rice noodles. After 5 minutes, add mushrooms and beef. Stir and let cook for about 5 minutes, until beef is no longer pink and noodles are cooked. Add Bean sprouts and then pour into a bowl, garnish with jalapeno, lime, basil, scallion, cilantro, min, and sriracha/hoisin sauce if you wish. Enjoy!
Easy Beef Pho
- Large pot
- 1 onion small peeled and sliced thin
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 quart low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 4 oz rice noodles flat, dry
- 8 oz lean sirloin sliced 1/8 inch thickness
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms sliced thin
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 6 mint leaves chopped
- 6 basil leaves chopped
- 6 sprigs cilantro chopped
- 1 lime sliced into wedges
- 1 jalapeno pepper sliced thin seeds removed
- sriracha and hoisin sauce to drizzle over finished soup
- In a large pot, saute onion, garlic, ginger for about 3 minutes until fragrant. Add beef broth, water, fish sauce, rice vinegar and bring to a medium boil for 5 minutes.
- Add rice noodles and cook for about 5 minutes, until beginning to soften. Add mushrooms and beef and cook for another 5 minutes, until beef is no longer pink. Add bean sprouts and scallions and remove from heat.
- Serve and garnish with jalapeno, cilantro, mint, basil. Top with sriracha and hoisin sauce if desired and enjoy!
2 thoughts on “Easy Beef Pho”
Delicious and cozy recipe perfect for chilly nights! Very easy to make and super customizable with your choice of toppings.
So glad you liked it! I’ve got this one on repeat alllll winter long 🙂