I know I know – you’re reading the title of this recipe and you’re probably thinking “HUH?!” Cottage cheese and pasta sauce and two things I never thought would make sense together, yet here we are. I saw this trend going around online, and honestly thought it was genius. Cottage cheese is a great source of protein, and fat free cottage cheese is 0 WW points. By starting with a traditional pasta sauce base and adding blended cottage cheese (so it’s super smooth), you end up with a delicious sauce that’s creamy, rich, but secretly higher in protein and lower in fat than a traditional pink sauce. Pair with your favorite pasta, add some protein and veg, and you’ve got a killer meal!
Making Cottage Cheese Pasta Sauce
This sauce is simple to make and involves minimal cooking. First, you’ll cook your pasta of choice according to package instructions and set aside.
Then, combine cottage cheese and milk in a blender and blend until it’s totally smooth, set aside. In a saucepan, saute your onion and garlic together until the onion is soft and cooked through. Then, add in:
- Diced (or crushed) tomato
- Balsamic vinegar
- Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper
Let it all stew together for 8-10 minutes so the tomatoes break down and the flavors can marry. Then, blend with your cottage cheese mixture until you have a smooth sauce. Pour over pasta and enjoy!
If you prefer chunks in your sauce, you can just stir in the cottage cheese mixture to your sauce as well instead of blending it again.
Cottage Cheese Pasta Sauce
- Sauce pan
- 28 oz Diced tomato or crushed with basil garlic oregano – drained
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 Tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt pepper
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 box pasta of your choice cooked according to package instructions, drained, set aside
- Cook your pasta of choice according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Combine milk and cottage cheese in a blender, blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Add diced onion to saucepan with a bit of olive oil (or cooking spray) and saute until soft. Add garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning, balsamic, and stir together. Let simmer together for 8-10 minutes.
- If you prefer a smooth sauce, add tomato mixture into cottage cheese mixture and blend together for 20-45 seconds, until smooth. Serve over your favorite pasta. If you prefer a sauce with chunks, just add cottage cheese into tomato mixture, stir to combine, and serve.