When I first ran this recipe idea by my husband, the first words out of his mouth were “but don’t you need bread for a BLT?” Totally fair. However, I was convinced that if I could nail the flavors, then we wouldn’t miss the bread. So I got to work. Once I had perfected these Chicken BLT Lettuce Cups, I called my husband over to try them. His review? “Oh wow, you really don’t need bread.”
So if you’re a bread holdout, give these a try! The flavors are awesome, and they really taste like a BLT. Thus, they’re lower in carbs, making them WW friendly, keto, gluten free, and all around tasty to boot! You won’t miss the bread, promise.
Making Chicken BLT Lettuce Cups
These have all the elements of a classic Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato sandwich, but are lightened up with a few ingredient swaps. To make these, you’ll first whip up the aioli which I think is what really ties these together. It’s comprised of:
- light mayo
- apple cider vinegar
- fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- a hint of powdered sugar (I use this one which is a zero calorie replacement)
Mix all of the ingredients together until smooth and put in the fridge until you’re ready to use.
Then, you’ll need your lettuce cups and fillings:
- romaine lettuce heads cut and cleaned
- boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked, cooled, and chopped
- turkey bacon, cooked, cooled chopped
- cherry tomatoes, chopped
- avocado, diced
Take each lettuce cup and slather some aioli on the inside of it. Add chicken, tomato, avocado, and then finish off with chopped bacon. Then just grab it like a taco and enjoy!
Chicken BLT Lettuce Cups
- Mixing Bowl
- Air Fryer or Stove Top to cook chicken and bacon
- Cutting Board
- 1 lb chicken breast cooked, cooled, cut into bite size chunks
- 6 slices low fat turkey bacon cooked, cooled, chopped
- 1 head of romaine washed, dried, leaves cut off
- 1/2 avocado diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup light Mayo
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 Tsp powdered sugar replacement
- Combine all aioli ingredients in a small bowl and mix together until uniform. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Leave in fridge until you're ready to use.
- Cook chicken until cooked through completely and turkey bacon until crispy using your preferred method. I prefer to do both in the air fryer – 375F for 15 min for the chicken, 400F for 10-12 min for the bacon usually does it, but check both as they cook. Chop both into small pieces.
- Cut tomatoes in half and dice up avocado. Wash and break apart your romaine, dry it, and lay it out.
- Put roughly a teaspoon of aioli in each lettuce cup and smear it up the length of the lettuce, so you'll get some in each bite. Top with chopped chicken, tomato, avocado, and sprinkle bacon over top. Enjoy!