I don’t know about you, but once the weather gets super nice, I am all about the quick and easy recipes. I want to spend my time outside, with friends and family, etc – which means less time in the kitchen. However, I still want delicious, healthy things. That’s how these Berries and Cream Shortcakes came about. They’re super quick and easy (they come together in under 30 minutes), so they’re great to whip up for guests, parties, or when you want something sweet. They start with store-bought dessert shells (thanks Steph for reminding me these exist), and add a layer of sweet cream cheese, an easy fruit compote, and a bit of whipped cream. The end result is a sweet, fruity dessert that’s perfect for summer (and just 4 WW SP a pop).
Making Berries and Cream Shortcakes
Since these start with pre-made dessert shells, there’s minimum cooking required. A bit of mixing, a bit of boiling, and some assembly, and you’ve got a to-die-for dessert that’s an absolute cinch to make. Aside from the dessert shells, you’ve got three elements to worry about:
- The cream cheese layer. It’s light cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla, and it makes a sort of lazy cream cheese frosting that gives these a delicious creamy layer and protects the cake shells from getting soggy from the compote.
- The fruit compote. I used strawberries and blackberries because that’s what I had – you can use any berries you like. You’ll need some fresh lemon juice and sugar of choice as well. I used a sugar substitute to keep points low.
- Whipped cream. I love fat free Reddi Wip because a few tbsp is 0 points and it’s delicious!
First, you’ll make your compote. Just combine berries, sugar, and lemon juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and simmer for 5-7 minutes, until the berries have released some liquid but they still have their shape. Remove from heat and let cool.
Next, make your cream cheese mixture.
Lastly – assemble! Put ~ a teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture in the bottom of the pastry shell and spread it around to cover the bottom. Top with some of the fruit compote to fill the shell, and then add a dollop of whipped cream on top. Then – dive in! Each bite is sweet, fruity, creamy goodness.
Berries and Cream Shortcakes
- Small Saucepan
- Mixing Bowl
- 6 Cake dessert shells
- 3 tbsp Light cream cheese
- 2 tsp Powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Berries cut into uniform size
- 2 tsp Sugar or artificial sweetener
- 1 tsp Lemon juice fresh squeezed
- Cut and wash berries. In a small saucepan, combine berries, sugar, and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 5-7 minutes, until berries have released liquid but still have some shape. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Combine cream cheese, vanilla, and powdered sugar and mix until fully combined.
- Add 1 tsp of cream cheese mixture into the bottom of each dessert shell and spread to coat it. Top with berry compote to fill each shell, and finish with a dollop of whipped cream!
- Store components separately in the fridge and assemble before enjoying.
- 4 SP for 1
- 8 SP for 2
1 thought on “Berries and Cream Shortcakes”
Sounds delish and easy. I’m making for company on the weekend.
I like that it can all be prep’d before and assembled for when I need it.