I recently created a buffalo chicken rice bake that I am obsessed with. We make it every few weeks because it’s so simple, filling, and nutritious. I love being able to throw a bunch of ingredients together, bake them up, and then enjoy a quick and healthy dinner! I wanted to make another version of that big, and after some testing I’m so excited to bring you guys this bbq chicken rice bake!
Just like the Buffalo version, it involves minimal cooking, you throw everything together and then just bake. It has a sweet and smoky flavor profile that we can’t get enough of. Hope you guys love it as much as we do!
Making a bbq chicken rice bake
This dish is a perfect weeknight meal option because of how easy it is to prep and cook it. No need to stand over the stove or monitor anything – truly set it and forget it. The only prep work is to cut some veggies and cook your chicken, which you can also buy pre cut and pre cooked (like a rotisserie chicken) to make this even easier.
Chop up your chicken in your vegetables and combine in a large mixing bowl. Add your shredded cheese, green onion, frozen cauliflower rice (leave it frozen!), and some instant rice (leave it uncooked- it’ll cook perfectly while it bakes).
In another bowl, mix up all of your sauce ingredients, which are bbq sauce (I use Stubbs Original which tastes great and is more WW friendly than other options out there), light ranch dressing, and some chicken broth. Pour the sauce over your chicken and rice mixture and mix it up well so that everything is coated in the sauce.
Pour the mixture into a well greased 9×9 baking dish and bake at 350F for 30-40 minutes, until the edges are slightly brown.
I portion it into six servings by taking a spatula and just slightly pressing in lines on the top of the bake for easy scooping. Then scoop out a serving or two, garnish with a drizzle of ranch dressing, and some extra chopped green and red onion, and enjoy! Store leftovers in airtight containers in the fridge for up to four days, reheating in the microwave as needed.
BBQ Chicken Rice Bake
- Mixing Bowls
- 9×9 dish
- 4 cups chicken breast cooked diced or shredded
- 3 cups cauliflower rice frozen
- 1 cup red onion diced finely
- 1 cup green onion chopped
- 1 cup fat free shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cups instant white rice uncooked
- 3/4 cup bbq sauce I use Stubbs original
- 2 tbsp light ranch dressing
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Drizzle of light ranch dressing
- Chopped green onion
- Chopped red onion
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Combine chicken, cauliflower rice (still frozen), chopped onion, green onion, shredded cheese, and instant rice in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together all sauce ingredients. Pour over chicken mixture and toss to fully coat.
- Pour mixture into a 9×9″ baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes, until the edges are browned.
- Finish it off with a drizzle of light ranch dressing and extra chopped green + red onions.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days and reheat in the microwave for ~1 minute. Enjoy!