Where I’m originally from, there’s a farm not too far from my parents’ place. They make a lot of delicious things, but among my favorite is their apple butter. It’s great on toast, in sandwiches, or on a spoon, and every Fall I stock up. This year, I went through it so fast I RAN OUT. You can imagine the panic. Naturally, I had to find a way to get my fix without having to drive all the way to this farm, so I got to testing. Boy, am I glad I did. This Slow Cooker Maple Apple Butter is knock-your-socks off good. It’s as simple as can be, and as a fun bonus – your entire house is going to smell amazing.
All it takes is a few ingredients (like literally 5) and you’ve got smooth, sweet, flavorful apple butter. It’s so good you’ll be eating it with a spoon (as I’ve been doing). No judgment.
Making Slow Cooker Maple Apple Butter
This recipe really couldn’t be easier. It’s, dare I say, foolproof. You only need a few ingredients, a slow cooker, and a blender to make it happen. To make this delicious butter, you’ll need:
- 3 lb apples, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped. I used Granny Smith because they hold their texture well. Honeycrisp would work well too.
- Maple syrup. This is going to sweeten the butter, and you can substitute sugar, honey, or sweetener of choice.
- Maple extract, which is going to help bump up the maple flavor.
- Apple pie spice, or your favorite blend of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg.
- A splash of water!
That’s it. Yeah, really.
Throw everything in the slow cooker and mix it together to coat the apples in the spices. Don’t worry if it looks like there isn’t enough liquid – you want this to be thick and the apples will give off liquid as they cook. Set slow cooker to high for 4-5 hours, until your apples are browned and extremely soft (should be able to smush them with a spoon). Let cool a bit, and then using an immersion blender (or by carefully transferring to a standing blender), blend until smooth.
Let cool then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Maple Apple Butter
- Slow Cooker
- Immersion Blender
- 3 lb apples peeled, cored, chopped
- 1 tbsp apple pie spice
- 2 tsp maple extract
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp water
- Chop apples and add to slow cooker with maple syrup, maple extract, apple pie spice, and water. Toss to coat.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours, until apples are browned and extremely soft (able to be smushed with a spoon).
- Let cool slightly, then use immersion blender to blend until smooth. Let cool and then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.