This recipe is sponsored by Krusteaz.
These pumpkin spice coffee cake muffins are the perfect accompaniment to your morning coffee all season long. These would also make an amazing Thanksgiving breakfast or special treat! Made with Krusteaz buttermilk pancake mix, these are a breeze to make and the end result is light, fluffy, and big on pumpkin flavor.
Making pumpkin spice coffee cake muffins
Because these are made with Krusteaz buttermilk pancake mix, they are super quick and easy to whip up. You can have these on the table in about an hour start to finish, so they make a great holiday breakfast option! To make these, you’ll need:
- Krusteaz buttermilk pancake mix
- Baking powder
- Pumpkin puree (unsweetened)
- Vanilla extract
- Pumpkin pie spice
You’ll combine all of the ingredients together and mix until you have a smooth batter. Batter will be thick! Set aside while you make your streusel topping.
For the streusel, you’ll need:
- All purpose flour
- Brown sugar
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Cold butter (this is crucial!)
- A pinch of salt
Combine flour with sugar and pumpkin pie spice until it is uniform. Then using butter knives, your hands, or a pastry cutter, mix in the cold butter until you have a crumbly topping. If using your hands, mix as little as possible because the heat from your hands will begin to melt the butter. Put the streusel in the fridge or freezer until you’re ready to top your muffins to ensure it is as cold as possible before it goes in to bake. This is critical for ensuring it stays together!
Divide your batter among 12 lined muffin wrappers. They should be about 2/3 of the way full, and then top with the cold streusel crumble.
Bake the muffins at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick put through the center comes out clean. You can also drizzle these with a little bit of icing (powdered sugar + just enough milk to make it runny) for maximum indulgence!
Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake Muffins
- Mixing Bowls
- Muffin Pan
- 4 cups Krusteaz buttermilk pancake mix
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 c milk
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon butter cold
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the cake ingredients and mix until you have a uniform batter, batter will be thick. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, pumpkin spice, and brown sugar. Cut in cold butter with a pastry cutter or two butter knives until you have a crumbly mixture. Keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to use it!
- Divide cake batter among 12 lined muffin wrappers in a muffin tin. Top with streusel topping.
- Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!