This recipe is truly a combination of two of my favorite things. First, banana bread. One of my favorite ways to start the day (and one of the best snacks) – sweet, soft, and a great burst of natural energy. Second, pb & j. This is one of my go to comfort foods and one of the greatest flavor combos on the planet. Creamy peanut butter, tangy, sweet jelly – it really doesn’t get better. So given my love of these two foods, you can imagine how excited I was to create a recipe that meshes the two together. These PB&J Banana Muffins are seriously DELICIOUS. A banana bread muffin made even better with peanutty flavor, with a jelly center that gives a great burst of fruity sweetness. They’re WW friendly too, you’ll want to make a double batch of these.
Making PB & J Banana Muffins
These muffins are based off of my light banana bread recipe, which is super simple. This version adds some powdered peanut butter, which is a more WW friendly way to add delicious peanut flavor without adding lots of points. Then, you’ll add a dollop of sugar free jam in the center as well as a swirl on top, so every bite is full of banana, peanut butter, and jelly – yum!
To make these muffins, you’ll need:
- Bananas, the riper the better. I’m talking about those super soft, totally brown ones. They’ll be sweeter and give great banana flavor to these muffins.
- Unsweetened applesauce, which will act as the ‘oil’ in the muffins and make them moist.
- Milk, to help make these fluffy. Any milk works (including dairy free milks).
- Flour, baking soda, eggs to hold everything together.
- A hint of powdered sugar for sweetness.
- Powdered peanut butter to give a delicious nutty flavor to the muffin.
- Sugar free jam, which you’ll fill the muffins with and swirl on top.
You’ll combine your wet ingredients (minus the jam) in one bowl, dry in another. Mix it all together and you’ll have a batter for your muffins. Line your muffin pan with silicone baking cups (I prefer these) or spray them very well with cooking spray. Put a heaping tablespoon of batter into the bottom of each mold. Add 1 tsp of sugar free jam on top, right in the center, and then cover them the rest of the way with batter. Then, taking the additional jam, dollop about 1/4 tsp onto the top of each muffin and swirl it around with a toothpick. Then bake, cool, and enjoy!
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
PB & J Banana Muffins
- Mixing Bowls
- Muffin Pan
- 3 Bananas ripe and mashed
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp Powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1.5 cup Flour
- 4 tbsp Powdered peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 12 tsp Sugar free jam
- 2 tbsp Sugar free jam to swirl on top
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare muffin pan with cooking spray or silicone baking cups to prevent sticking.
- Mash bananas well in a medium mixing bowl. Add applesauce, milk, eggs, vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, powdered peanut butter and sugar and stir together. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
- Put 1 tbsp of batter into the bottom of each muffin tin. Add 1 tsp of jam into the center of each, then cover all of them with the rest of the batter. Using additional 2 tbsp of jelly, mis it up so it can be swirled and put 1/4 tsp on top of each muffin. Swirl with a toothpick to create jelly pattern on top.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!