We love a good pizza night in my house. Back in the day, we’d order a few slices from our local pizza shop and have a quiet night in with some good eats. However, when following WW, pizza is super high in points, and often has lots of extra fat/oil etc that I just didn’t want anymore. So I got into the habit of making my own pizza. First, by buying pizza dough from a local shop and lightening up the toppings myself. Eventually, I figured out that the magical ‘2 ingredient dough’ (greek yogurt + self rising flour) actually made for a great base for pizza. A few modifications, and I had an easily repeatable, customizable recipe that made for delicious, healthier pizzas. The latest iteration, this Healthy BBQ Chicken Pizza, is an absolute delight.
Sweet and savory shredded chicken tossed with barbecue sauce meets tangy red onion and melty cheese. I finish this pizza off with some chopped fresh green onion and a drizzle of light ranch for an absolute flavor explosion. This pizza is higher in protein thanks to the greek yogurt and eggs in the dough, and it’s lightened up significantly with a few key swaps. While it’s lower in fat and calories, I promise it doesn’t skimp on flavor.
Making Healthy BBQ Chicken Pizza
First, you’ll need to make and par-bake (bake most of the way) your pizza crust. To make it, you’ll need:
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Nonfat Greek yogurt
- Salt/pepper/garlic powder (I use this seasoning)
Combine dry ingredients first, then add eggs and greek yogurt and mix together until you have a solid dough. I use a mixer with a dough hook attachment to mix the dough up easily, but you can use a wooden spoon and do it by hand as well. Once your dough is formed, keep some flour handy to flour the outside of it to make it easier to work with. Prepare a baking sheet by either using a silicone baking sheet, parchment paper, or spraying well with cooking spray. Flour a surface well and roll your dough out with a rolling pin most of the way. Transfer to baking sheet and finish stretching the dough out until it’s roughly the size of your baking sheet, leaving yourself a thicker outer layer to be the crust. Spray with cooking spray and bake for 18-20 minutes, until just lightly turning golden.
For the toppings, you’ll use:
- Fat free mozzarella
- Cooked shredded chicken
- Bbq sauce (if following WW, opt for a sugar free or low sugar option)
- Red onion, sliced thin
- Ranch dressing (if following WW, opt for a low fat or fat free option)
- Green onion, chopped
Combine chicken with bbq sauce and mix until it’s totally coated. Once your crust is out of the oven, top with half of the cheese, then spread the chicken mixture evenly over the entire pizza (leaving the crust uncovered). Top with the rest of the cheese and thinly sliced red onion. Bake for another 8-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown. Finish with a drizzle of Ranch dressing and some chopped green onion and enjoy!
Healthy BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Mixing Bowl
- Stand Mixer with dough hook (optional)
- 9×13 Baking Sheet
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 cup Greek yogurt nonfat
- 1.5 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1.5 cups fat free mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups chicken breast cooked, cooled, shredded
- 1/3 cup bbq sauce sugar free
- 1/4 red onion sliced thin
- 4 tbsp light Ranch Dressing or light blue cheese dressing
- 3 tbsp green onion chopped, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and salt in a bowl. Stir together. Add greek yogurt and egg, and either by hand or using a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment, mix until your dough is uniform. Flour the outside of the dough, as well as your surface and rolling pin, as the dough will be sticky.
- Line 9×13 baking sheet with parchment paper, silicone baking mats, or spray VERY well with cooking spray. Using a rolling pin, roll your dough out until it mostly fills the size of the baking sheet. Carefully transfer dough to baking sheet, and continue to roll/spread it until it roughly fills out the sheet. It’s ok if it’s not perfect!
- Spray with cooking spray and bake for ~18 minutes, until just lightly turning golden.
- Spread 1 cup of cheese over crust. In a small bowl, combine shredded chicken with bbq sauce and mix to fully coat. Spread chicken mixture over cheese evenly, leaving crust exposed. Top with remaining cup of cheese. Bake 8-10 minutes, until cheese is fully melted. Garnish with fresh chopped green onion and ranch drizzle. Cut into 10 slices and enjoy!
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in the oven or air fry at 370 for 5 minutes to crisp up.