Level with me for a second – is there anything better than a funfetti (aka sprinkle-loaded) cupcake? I know they’re basically vanilla with sprinkles, but the fun factor really takes them up a notch. So, naturally, I wanted a lighter version (because really, who is eating just one?). These healthier funfetti cupcakes are little bites of heaven. At just 75 calories or 3 WW SP a pop, they’re a perfect sweet treat that won’t sabotage your healthy eating goals.
Making healthier funfetti cupcakes
The cupcakes themselves are essentially foolproof. You’ll need:
- 1 15.25 oz package of funfetti cake mix. You can also substitute your cake mix of choice as long as it’s the same size.
- 1 cup nonfat greek yogurt. I prefer Fage 0% and find that it works the best.
- 1 cup water.
Simply mix it all together, pour it into your prepared mini muffin pan, and bake. You can also turn this into big cupcakes, you’ll just want to up the baking time to 22-25 minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean).
The frosting is just as simple, and tastes like a delicious store-bought buttercream, but lighter. The key is Smart Balance, which is a WW friendly butter alternative made from vegetable oils. To make the frosting, you’ll need:
- Smart Balance, which you’ll start by creaming in a stand mixer. It should be room temperature.
- Powdered sugar, which you’ll add next until you have a uniform mixture.
- Vanilla extract.
- Milk, which you’ll add 1 tsp at a time until you have a smooth, creamy frosting.
Then, just frost your cooled cupcakes with 1 tsp of frosting on each, and enjoy! Store in the fridge, serve at room temperature.
Healthier Funfetti Cupcakes
- Mixing Bowls
- Stand Mixer
- Mini Muffin Pan
- 1 package Funfetti cake mix 15.25 oz. I used Pillsbury, but any brand works. Can also use vanilla cake mix and add sprinkles.
- 1 cup Nonfat greek yogurt I use Fage 0%
- 1 cup Water
- 4 tbsp Smart Balance or butter/vegan butter alternative, room temperature
- 2 cups Powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp Milk any works
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add vanilla, then add milk 1 tsp at a time until frosting reaches desired consistency.
- Frost cupcakes with 1 tsp of frosting each, top with additional sprinkles if desired.
- Blue: 1 cupcake for 3 SP, 2 for 7, 3 for 10
- Purple: 1 cupcake for 3 SP
- Green: 1 cupcake for 3 SP
- In the frosting, you can substitute the milk with cream (or even creamer) in the same amount
- You can also substitute the powdered sugar with a sugar-free powdered sugar substitute and adjust points accordingly