Is there anything quite as comforting and nostalgic as chocolate chip cookies with a glass of cold milk? It’s one of my year-round faves, so when Dijas Foods approached me about incorporating their gluten free (and vegan!) cookies into a recipe, I wanted to create something that brought back that childhood high of a chocolate chip cookie dunked in a cold glass of milk – but wanted to make it totally gluten free. That’s how this cookies and milk cake was born!
To create the base, I started with a superfine almond flour. I prefer it because it’s so fine that it doesn’t have a grainy texture like a more course almond flour. Next, eggs for a binder, and sugar for sweetness. A little vanilla gives it that nostalgic flavor, a little milk for a smooth mouthfeel and light crumb, and then chocolate chips to tie it all together.
The batter comes together in one bowl, takes 5 minutes, and bakes into a perfectly light, fluffy cake that you would seriously NEVER think was gluten free. I’ll be using this recipe on REPEAT.
You could omit the chocolate chips and swap vanilla extract with almond extract to bump up the almond flavor, could throw some nuts or dried fruit in it – skies the limit.
Since the base is the ‘cookie,’ the topping had to be the ‘milk’ – so a super fluffy vanilla frosting was in order. It starts similar to a basic buttercream (butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, milk), but the amount of butter is reduced and swapped with cool whip. In addition to being lower fat/lower in calories, it makes for a super fluffy, light frosting and the taste is reminiscent of a cold glass of milk.
To bring it all together, I topped the cake with crushed chocolate chip almond butter cookies from Dijas Foods. These cookies are vegan, gluten free, dairy free, and made with better-for-you ingredients, so you can enjoy cookies without the guilt. They’re crunchy and delicious as a cake topping (or dipped in a glass of cold milk)!
Gluten Free Cookies and Milk Cake
- Mixing Bowls
- 8×8 Pan
- Stand Mixer
- 1 cup of super fine almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 5 tbsp butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup cool whip
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Crushed cookies for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Whisk sugar and egg together in a bowl for about a minute, until the mixture is uniformly mixed and fluffy
- Add vanilla and salt, combine, and then add almond flour and baking powder
- Whisk mixture together and then add milk and chocolate chips
- Pour batter into a greased 8×8 pan and bake for 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean and the cake is lightly golden brown
- Allow cake to cool while you prepare the frosting
- In a stand mixer with whisk attachment (or using a hand mixer), combine butter and powdered sugar. Add vanilla and then add cool whip, mixing to combine. Lastly, add milk 1 tsp at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost cake once it’s completely cooled, top with crushed cookies, and enjoy!
3 thoughts on “Gluten Free Cookies and Milk Cake”
WOW these look so decadent and delicious!
Thank you! It’s super rich in flavor, yet light and fluffy – a total GF win!
Pingback: Gluten Free PB&J Thumbprint Cookies - Food By The Gram