French Onion Soup is one of my favorite comfort dishes. I love the sweet, tangy onion flavor with melty cheese – it’s like a hug in a bowl. I wanted to take those same flavors and turn them into something way simpler (french onion soup takes hours to make). With a few pantry staples and a slow cooker, this French Onion Chicken was born. It’s juicy from simmering in the slow cooker, and also means it’s a ‘set it and forget it’ type of meal. Once finished, top with cheese and broil for the full french onion soup effect. The end result? Super moist, flavorful chicken with lots of cooked onions and melty cheese. Heaven in each bite.
Making French Onion Chicken
When it comes to weeknight eats, the simpler the better. This meal comes together super easily- just throw everything in the slow cooker and set it and forget it. You’ll start with your boneless skinless chicken breasts and put them on the bottom of the pot. You’ll top them with:
- Sliced onions (white, yellow, or sweet)
- French onion soup mix
- Condensed french onion soup from the can
- Low sodium chicken stock
Let simmer on high for 3-4 hours, until chicken is at 165F internal temp. Once finished, add 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar to amp up the flavor and mix. Transfer chicken breasts and onions over to a cast iron pan (or other oven safe dish). Top with thin sliced low fat provolone cheese (or your favorite cheese) and broil for 4-5 minutes, until cheese is just melted and beginning to brown.
Top with additional onions, a bit of liquid from the crockpot, and serve warm. I served mine with a side of green beans topped with salt, pepper, garlic, and fresh grated parmesan. Truly the best meal, and so easy! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat in the microwave or oven.
French Onion Chicken
- Slow Cooker
- Oven Safe Pan/Dish
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts about 2 lb
- 1 large onion sliced thinly
- 1 packet onion dip mix
- 1 can condensed french onion soup
- 1/2 cup chicken or beef broth
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 8 slices provolone cheese thin sliced, reduced fat
- Place chicken breasts in bottom of slow cooker. Slice onion thinly, add on top of chicken. Add soup mix, can of condensed soup, and broth. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, until chicken internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and put in oven safe pan or cast iron. Top with onions, reserving liquid in the slow cooker. Top each breast with 2 slices of cheese and broil in the oven for 4-5 minutes until cheese is melted and begins to brown.
- To serve, top with additional onions and a few spoonfuls of liquid from slow cooker. Serve with your choice of sides and enjoy!
2 thoughts on “French Onion Chicken”
Quite honestly my new favorite recipe. SO good
This recipe is delicious and easy – we paired the chicken with broccoli and then used our leftover chicken to make french onion grilled cheese the next day. The french onion sauce is a really comforting flavor and I love it with chicken for a high protein meal – amazing.