So here I was, looking at two avocados that were perfectly ripe that I had no use for. I had my meals planned for the week, and already had two more avocados waiting for me. Then, a lightbulb moment – I could bake with them! Avocados are a great source of healthy fats that can be an awesome substitute for butter/oil in baking, and the flavor is easily masked so you can get a great texture without avocado flavor. These Chocolate Avocado Muffins are rich, fudgy, high in protein, and so fluffy thanks to avocado! Made without any flour, they’re a delicious treat, breakfast, or snack!
Making Chocolate Avocado Muffins
These are such a breeze to make, and they’re really versatile so you can add your own mix ins, change the shape (bakes up great as a loaf too), etc! Just throw everything in the blender, blend, pour, bake, and enjoy! To make these, you’ll need:
- Ripe avocados, which you’ll mash up. Make sure they’re nice and soft!
- Almond butter (or substitute any other nut butter that you like)
- Eggs, to bind the muffins
- Baking soda to help the muffins rise
- Vanilla extract for flavor
- Cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- Maple syrup to sweeten these (or use a sugar substitute, honey, etc)
- Chocolate chips for topping
- Collagen powder (optional, but it’s tasteless and adds protein) or protein powder if you want
Preheat oven to 350F. Combine avocado, almond butter, eggs, baking soda, vanilla, cacao powder, maple syrup and collagen/protein in a blender and blend on high speed until you have a smooth batter. Pour into greased or lined muffin pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until tops are cracked and muffins don’t jiggle. Let cool completely and enjoy! Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days!
Chocolate Avocado Muffins
- Muffin Pan
- 2 avocados ripe, peeled and pitted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2/3 cup almond butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup collagen or protein powder optional, but great for added protein
- Chocolate chips as topping about 1/4 cup needed
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine all ingredients minus chocolate chips into blender and blend until smooth. Pour into 10 lined muffin cups (or 1 9×5 loaf pan).
- Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes, until solid and tops are cracked. If opting for a loaf, bake for 40-50 minutes, until cracked on top and solid. Store leftovers in the fridge for 4 days. Enjoy!