If you’ve never had latkes, you’re seriously missing out. They’re one of my favorite ways to eat potatoes, and they’re right up there with french fries. They’re traditionally prepared around Hanukkah, but if I’m being honest – I make them year round. Traditionally, they’re made with regular potatoes, some onion, and then fried in hot oil until crispy, served with sour cream/applesauce. However, I wanted to create a version that had the same textural elements with a slightly different flavor profile (and I wanted to make it lighter). Well, these Air Fryer Sweet Potato Latkes are IT guys. Seriously, they’re incredible.
They have crispy edges, but soft centers. I added dried cranberries which mix up the texture and add some great sweetness, which pairs well with the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes. I finish them with a little flaked sea salt (if you’re new here, I love all things sweet and salty) and serve with sour cream and they are SO GOOD. The best part? They’re way lighter too, since they’re made in the air fryer and don’t need to be drenched in oil. So what are you waiting for? You’re going to want to snag this recipe ASAP.
Making Air Fryer Sweet Potato Latkes
These really couldn’t be simpler to make, and you just need a handful of ingredients. The components of these latkes are:
- Shredded sweet potato (roughly 5 cups, which is 2 mid sized sweet potatoes that have been peeled)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup of plain bread crumbs (or you can use matzoh meal)
- Dried cranberries (or you can use golden raisins or leave them out entirely)
- A hint of salt
That’s it – seriously. You’ll shred your potatoes first, and then you’ll want to drain as much moisture as you can out. You can use a cheesecloth or paper towels to remove moisture from the potatoes, after which you’ll mix in the breadcrumbs and toss everything around. Add the salt, egg, and cranberries, and mix with a spoon to combine. Your mixture should stick together when pressed.
These are air fried, which means cooking spray will be your BFF. Spray both sides of these WELL (and I mean WELL). Air fry at 375 for 15 minutes, until edges are crispy and dark, but centers are soft and cooked through. Serve warm with some flaked sea salt and a side of sour cream. Store leftovers in the fridge and air fry (375 for 3-4 min) to reheat. Enjoy!
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Latkes
- Mixing Bowl
- Air Fryer
- 2 sweet potatoes grated, about 5 cups
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries low or no sugar added
- Peel and grate sweet potatoes and remove as much moisture as possible using either cheesecloth of paper towels. Put in medium mixing bowl.
- Add bread crumbs and salt and toss. Beat eggs well and add egg, stirring with a spoon until uniform. Add cranberries and mix in.
- Using a tablespoon, create heaping tablespoon sized latkes and press them to form and then flatten. Spray both sides of latkes fully and liberally with cooking spray and air fry at 375 F for 14-16 minutes, until edges are crispy and centers are cooked through.
- Serve with flaked sea salt topping and a side of sour cream. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat in air fryer (375 for 3-5 min). Enjoy!
1 thought on “Air Fryer Sweet Potato Latkes”
It’s not a latkeh , it’s a potato kugel. Latkes must taste oily.
But it’s a good kugel.