So it’s MDW and normally I’d be at the beach stuffing my face with Monkey Bread but things are looking a little different this year, so I had to make my own. Behold- HEALTHIER FUNFETTI MONKEY BREAD! This recipe is made using Greek yogurt, so the dough is protein-packed, and there’s much less sugar than a traditional recipe, but it’s still sweet! Finished with a bunch of sprinkles and sweet glaze, these are SO GOOD!
This dough is just two ingredients and quite literally magical. The combination of non-fat Greek Yogurt and self rising flour makes for amazing bagels, biscuits, and more – you really can enjoy indulgent carbs with waaaay less guilt, since one of the two ingredients is trusty nonfat Greek Yogurt. Lower in carbs, higher in protein – a true win win.
Some of my Greek Yogurt greatest hits are:
- Light Key Lime Pie Dip
- PB & J Mini Buns
- Lighter Chocolate Cake with Greek Yogurt Frosting
- Healthier Greek Yogurt Pancakes
- Lemon White Chocolate Cake Cookies
- Healthier Oreo Nutella Cinnamon Buns
- Healthy Everything Bagel Dogs
- Blueberry Cinnamon Greek Yogurt Muffins
And the list goes on. Long story short – non-fat Greek yogurt is the BEST. I keep a big tub of it in my fridge at all times, since it’s become such a staple in my cooking and baking. It’s also 0 SP on WW blue/purple plans, so it’s a perfect snack that you can dress up however you want! It’s delicious layered with berries, jam, granola, or honey!
One of the tricks to keeping these lower in calories and lower in points is to only put sweet things as the toppings, not in the actual dough. These mini monkey breads are also made without butter, which is super high in fat/calories/points – instead, a spritz of cooking spray does the trick.
Then, just combine cinnamon and sugar, spray your dough balls, and roll them in the sugar. It ensures that they’re sweet enough but not overly so, and it makes them much more diet friendly.
Substitutions, variations, etc.
- If you want these to be even lower in points/sugar, you can replace sugar with a sugar substitute (though, note: substitutes tend to taste much sweeter so use less and taste as you go)
- You can skip the sprinkles and opt for a chocolatey take by mixing a few mini chocolate chips (Lily’s are great if you’re on WW) into the dough and/or drizzling melted chocolate/Nutella over top
- If you don’t have nonfat Greek yogurt, other Greek yogurts should work (may have a slightly different texture)
*Commission links below. If you shop through these links, I get a small percentage of the sale, at no extra cost to you!
Let’s make healthier monkey bread!
Depending on the size you make them, these work out to roughly 5-6 WW points per muffin without glaze.
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (0%)
- 1 cup self rising flour*
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup sugar + 1 tsp cinnamon
- for glaze: 1 cup powdered sugar + 1-2 tbsp milk to reach desired consistency
*If you don’t have self rising flour, combine 1 cup of all purpose flour with 1/2 tsp salt and 1 1/2 tsp baking powder.
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Combine Greek yogurt and flour and stir until dough is uniform. It will start shaggy and clumpy, will need to stir for a while (a mixer with a bread hook is great here). Then stir in sprinkles. Lightly flour your hands when working with the dough.
- Mix together sugar and cinnamon.
- Take your dough and roll it into ~1/2 to 1 inch balls. Put them on a cookie sheet or in a large bowl.
- Spray the balls with cooking spray so they’re all covered. Then toss with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Put ~5 or so balls into each lined muffin tin, and bake for 25-30 min, until tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Combine powdered sugar and milk to create glaze. Pour over monkey breads (and add extra sprinkles) and ENJOY!!
Let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a comment and/or tagging me on Instagram at @foodbythegram!