As Summer draws to a close, I’m into for more ‘intermediate’ recipes – aka recipes that are a bridge between the Summer heat and the cool nights of Fall. That means lots of soups, stews, etc. This Roasted Corn and Tomato Soup with Crab may just be the best in-between-seasons dish EVER. It’s made with loads of fresh corn and tomatoes, both of which are amazing this time of year, and topped with some crab meat for a hint of salt. The end result is a veggie-packed, WW friendly soup that’s perfect for any meal.
Making Roasted Corn and Tomato Soup with Crab
While this soup sounds super fancy, it’s really as easy as roast, blend, and enjoy. It’s made with 99% vegetables, and can easily be made vegan, and is already dairy and gluten free. It’s a perfect appetizer or main course, and you can enjoy it warm or cold (I prefer cold).
To make this soup, you’ll need:
- Fresh sweet corn, which you’ll roast in the oven for a bit to let the flavors develop
- Fresh roasted cherry tomatoes, I used a medley which kept the soup lighter in color
- Yellow peppers, which you’ll chop and roast
- Sweet onion, which gives the soup a nice sweetness once roasted
- Salt, pepper, garlic to season your veggies, as well as fresh garlic to flavor the final product
- Hot sauce, for a little kick
- Red wine vinegar for acidity
- Olive oil to give it creaminess
- Crab meat for topping – any kind works, and you can substitute shrimp or a meat of choice
- Cilantro for topping
- (Optional) Chicken or vegetable stock to thin the soup out a bit. I prefer mine on the chunkier/thicker side, so I didn’t add any, but if you like a thinner soup, add some stock about 1/2 cup at a time to thin it out.
First, you’ll toss all of your veggies with salt, pepper, garlic powder. Roast them all at 375 for 15-20 minutes, until veggies are all soft and tomatoes are just starting to burst. Let cool.
Throw all of your veggies as well as fresh garlic cloves, hot sauce, vinegar, and olive oil (and chicken/veggie stock if using) into a blender and blend until completely smooth. Top with crab meat, a dash of hot sauce, chopped cilantro, and fresh cracker black pepper. Store leftovers in an airtight container the fridge for up to 4 days.
Roasted Corn and Tomato Soup with Crab
- Roasting Pan
- 30 oz mixed cherry tomatoes (3 10 oz packs)
- 5 ears fresh corn peeled
- 1 sweet onion roughly chopped
- 2 yellow peppers roughly chopped
- Garlic powder
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp hot sauce optional
- 2 4.25 oz cans crabmeat
- 1 cup chicken stock optional, add more or less as desired to thin soup
- Garnish with hot sauce, cilantro, cracked black pepper
- Roughly chop peppers and onion, and spray peppers, onions, corn, and tomatoes with cooking spray and toss with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Roast at 375 for 15-20 minutes, until tomatoes start to blister and all veggies are soft. Let cool.
- Cut corn off the cob, and add corn, tomatoes, peppers, and onions to blender. Add red wine vinegar, garlic cloves, olive oil, hot sauce, and stock if using to blender and blend until smooth.
- Soup can be served hot or cold. Serve with crab meat on top and garnish with chopped cilantro, a dash of hot sauce, and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- 0 SP/cup
- 1 SP/cup (for 3 oz of crabmeat on top)