Now that we’re full swing into football season, my mind goes to one place every Sunday/Monday – buffalo chicken. Normally, I whip up a big batch of my healthy buffalo chicken dip (which is awesome, if I do say so myself). However, I wanted to take that recipe a bit further. I knew I could successfully make a buffalo chicken dip healthier, but could I do better? These healthy buffalo chicken egg rolls confirm that it can indeed get better. Spicy, creamy buffalo filling, melty cheese, and a crunchy exterior – all made better-for-you. These are air fried with minimal oil, made with greek yogurt so they’re full of protein, and they’re WW friendly.
Making Healthy Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
Whereas my healthy buffalo dip is made in the slow cooker, these don’t require much pre-cooking. You’ll just want to cook your chicken and let it cool ahead of time, and the rest is mostly assembly/air frying. To make these, you’ll need:
- Egg roll wrappers
- Cooking spray which will help them crisp up in the air fryer
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast that’s cooked, cooled, and shredded finely
- Hot sauce (I use Frank’s)
- Ranch seasoning (I used Hidden Valley from a packet)
- Light cream cheese (can sub vegan or regular)
- Nonfat Greek yogurt (I used Fage 0%)
- Low fat shredded mozzarella
You’ll mix everything together and work on assembling your egg rolls. You’ll also want to have a little dish of water handy for assembly (wetting the edges helps the egg rolls stick together).
Turn egg roll wrapper diagonally. You’ll put 2 tbsp of filling in each egg roll wrapper, then fold the bottom up first. Then fold the sides in, wet the top edge, and roll it up to seal. Place on a sprayed air fryer tray and repeat to make 10 egg rolls. Spray the tops well with cooking spray and air fry at 375 for 6 minutes, then flip over and air fry for another 3-4 to crisp up on all sides.
Serve with ranch/extra hot sauce and enjoy!
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
- Mixing Bowls
- Air Fryer
- cooking spray
- 10 egg roll wrappers
- 1 lb chicken breast boneless, skinless, cooked and shredded
- 1/3 cup hot sauce Frank's Red Hot preferred
- 1.5 tbsp ranch seasoning
- 1 tbsp light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup nonfat greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup low fat mozzarella shredded
- ranch and hot sauce for serving
- Cook and shred your chicken, let cool. In a mixing bowl, combine chicken, cream cheese, greek yogurt, ranch seasoning, mozzarella, and hot sauce and stir together until uniform.
- Turn egg roll wrapper so it's a diamond shape (see blog post) and put 2 tbsp of filling in the center. Fold bottom up, then fold sides in, and using a little bit of water on your fingertip, wet the top edge and roll the egg roll to seal.
- Place egg rolls on a well sprayed/lined air fryer tray and spray fully with cooking spray. Air fry at 375F for 5-6 minutes, until lightly golden. Flip and air fry for another 3-4 minutes, until crispy on all sides.
- Serve warm with extra ranch, blue cheese, and/or hot sauce for dipping and enjoy!
2 thoughts on “Healthy Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls”
Can you make these in oven if you don’t have an air fryer?
You should be able to – increase the temperature by 25 degrees for oven cooking and keep an eye on them, I would do about 6-7 minutes on each side and then adjust depending how crispy you like them!