Things I love:
- Peanut butter
That’s basically how this recipe came to be. Ever put a Reeses cup in your s’more? It’s life-alteringly good. As if s’mores weren’t delicious enough on their own, the only thing that could possibly make them better is creamy, rich peanut butter. So that got me thinking – why not combine them all, in a package that doesn’t require a full-blown campfire? That perfect little package is the cookie of course. But why not take it a step further?
Peanut butter cookies are dime a dozen – search Pinterest and you’ll find a million recipes. However; this one is epic. First off – it’s only a few ingredients, and odds are they’re already in your pantry. Second, because peanut butter is basically magic, these have NO FLOUR. That’s right – totally gluten free, and loaded with peanutty flavor. Not talking like regular cookie with a hint of peanut, I’m talking cookie that tastes like eating a spoonful of peanut butter (with marshmallows and chocolate, of course).
Making the peanut butter s’mores cookies
So, what are the magic ingredients to this cookie?
- Peanut butter
- Sugar (granulated + brown)
- Baking powder
That’s pretty much it. A little salt, vanilla, and some toppings and you’re golden.
These cookies come together fast and bake even faster, so you can make them day-of if you have somewhere to be.
The process of making them is as easy as combining the ingredients in a bowl, refrigerating the finished dough for 30-60 minutes, and then plopping 1 inch balls onto a cookie sheet and baking. It really doesn’t get simpler.
I like to put the toppings on top of the cookie before making, so that they all have some chocolate and marshmallow on top as well as throughout.
Storing the cookies
These keep well in or out of the fridge for a few days, just make sure they’re in an airtight container. They should be fine for up to 5 days or so in the fridge, and they’ll stay nice and soft and chewy. Out of the fridge, you’re good for about 3 days.
Looking to mix it up?
The peanut butter cookie base lends itself super well to lots of different combinations. You can add pretzels and chocolate chips for some sweet and salty action. Maybe fruity is more your speed? Top these with some jam for a PB&J throwback. You can also load it up with additional crushed peanuts and just keep it straight PB all the way – just as delicious.
Gluten Free Peanut Butter S’mores Cookies
- Mixing Bowls
- Baking Sheet
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar not packed
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Additional chocolate chips and mini marshmallows for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a mixing bowl, stir together sugars, baking powder, and salt.
- Add peanut butter, vanilla, and egg and stir together until you have a smooth batter. Add chocolate chips and fold them in so they’re consistent throughout the batter.
- Wrap batter in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 30-60 minutes to allow it to firm up
- Once firm, scoop batter into ~1 inch balls and place on a lined cookie sheet (I use silicone baking mats and swear by them)
- Top cookies with chocolate chips and mini marshmallows, and press them into the dough so it flattens the cookies a bit
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the top is just firmed up. Cookies should still be quite soft, but they’ll get firmer as they cool
- Allow cookies to cool on a cooling rack and then enjoy with a nice glass of milk!