As far as cookies go, peanut butter cookies are top of my list. I love the nutty flavor paired with some chocolate especially, and love how peanut butter cookies are soft and chewy. I’ve also learned that peanut butter is super versatile and makes an awesome base for baking. So awesome, that you can make amazing peanut butter cookies without any flour at all. These Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies are nothing short of a miracle (and just 6 WW SP a pop). Be warned, though. If you make a batch, everyone is going to be after them.
Making gluten free peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies
They may be a mouthful to say, but I promise they’re really easy to make. Most of the ingredients are probably in your pantry right now, too. You’ll need:
- Peanut butter, which is really the star of the show. I use a creamy peanut butter, but if you want chunks of nut in there, crunchy works too.
- Granulated white sugar.
- Light brown sugar. Yes, two sugars are necessary here, trust me!
- Baking powder will help these rise.
- Egg will bind them together.
- Vanilla and salt add some flavor.
- Chocolate chunks because duh.
- You can also add sprinkles for a fun, festive twist!
Simply combine your dry ingredients in one bowl, wet ingredients (egg, peanut butter, vanilla) in another. Once you have two uniform mixtures, combine them in one bowl until you have a smooth batter. At this point, preheat your oven, and let your dough chill in the fridge for 30-60 minutes. This is essential to your dough being able to withstand heat enough to bake without totally flattening. Then, just bake, cool, and enjoy!
The base of these cookies is super simple and really versatile, which is why I love it. I often make a double batch of dough, split it into two, and do two different mix-in combos. Here are some other fun combinations you can mix into this dough for a whole new cookie.
- S’mores – chocolate and marshmallow
- Fruity – dried fruit of choice. Cranberries would be delicious!
- Turn it into a PB&J thumbprint cookie (recipe here).
- Add 1/2 tsp almond extract and 1/4 cup of sprinkles for a Confetti cookie
- Add chopped nuts, seeds, chocolate chips and cranberries for a hearty trail mix cookie
No matter how you mix these up, they’re sure to be delicious. Store in an airtight container at room temp for up to 4 days (or in the fridge if you want a cool treat!)
Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Mixing Bowls
- Baking Sheet
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar not packed
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup chocolate chunks
- sprinkles for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a mixing bowl, stir together sugars, baking powder, and salt.
- Add peanut butter, vanilla, and egg and stir together until you have a smooth batter. Add chocolate chips and fold them in so they’re consistent throughout the batter.
- Wrap batter in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 30-60 minutes to allow it to firm up
- Once firm, scoop batter into ~1 inch balls and place on a lined cookie sheet (I use silicone baking mats and swear by them)
- Top cookies with chocolate chunks, and press them into the dough so it flattens the cookies a bit
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the top is just firmed up. Cookies should still be quite soft, but they’ll get firmer as they cool
- Allow cookies to cool on a cooling rack and then enjoy with a nice glass of milk!