One of my best friends is gluten free, so whenever she comes over, I take it as my chance to experiment with some gluten free goodies. We’ve often discussed how gluten free desserts (cookies especially) are often dry and kinda lame. That’s how my pb&j thumbprints and peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies came to be, and these are no exception. These Gluten Free Chocolate Cashew Cookies are anything but lame. They’re built on a cashew butter base, so they’re totally gluten free, soft and chewy, lightly sweet, and full of chocolate flavor. They’ve got the gluten free BFF stamp of approval!
Making Gluten Free Chocolate Cashew Cookies
These are an absolute breeze to make, so they’re perfect to whip up on short notice. Mix everything in one bowl, scoop them (or roll them if you prefer), bake, and enjoy. I used a cookie scoop to make them into cute little domes, and it ensures they end up with soft chewy centers.
To make these cookies, you’ll need:
- Creamy cashew butter, which is the main base of this cookie since we’re not using any flour.
- Sugar to sweeten the cookies. I used white sugar, and you can substitute
- Baking powder and baking soda to help these cookies rise and stay soft
- Cocoa powder to give them a delicious, rich flavor
- Egg to bind it all together
- Salt and vanilla for flavor
- Chocolate chips to add to the chocolatey flavor
- Sprinkles for mixing in/topping just to amp up the fun factor!
Mix all of your wet ingredients in a bowl, add in the dry, and stir it all together until you have a uniform dough. Refrigerate it for 15 minutes while you preheat your oven. Refrigerating the dough ensures it’s a bit cooler and firmer when it goes in the oven, so it won’t flatten. It’s key to a soft, chewy final cookie.
Scoop your dough onto a lined baking sheet (I use silicone baking mats). Bake these for 10-12 minutes, then allow them to cool for ~10 minutes and enjoy!
Gluten Free Chocolate Cashew Cookies
- Mixing Bowls
- Baking Sheet
- 3/4 cup creamy cashew butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2.5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- sprinkles for topping
- In a mixing bowl, combine cashew butter, sugar, egg, vanilla and stir together. In a small bowl, stir together baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix together to combine thoroughly. Fold in chocolate chips and sprinkles, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 15 minutes while you preheat your oven.
- 1 cookie for 3 SP
- 2 cookies for 6 SP
- 3 cookies for 9 SP