Tired of the same old eggs and bacon for breakfast? Yeah, so was I. However, I’m all about a quick and easy solution in the morning (since my brain doesn’t really turn on until around 10 am). I wanted something that I could prep in advance and enjoy all week, and I wanted it to be big on flavor so I wouldn’t get bored. That’s how these Southwest Breakfast Egg Rolls were born, and holy moly are they good.
These rolls are crispy and crunchy, made lighter in the air fryer. They’re great to make ahead and reheat each morning, and they keep well in the fridge. I also serve these with a cilantro lime crema, made lighter and WW friendly with Greek yogurt. It’s a perfect companion to the flavors of the egg rolls (and would probably be good on lots of things). The best part? These egg rolls are just 2 SP each (3 on green)! The crema is 0 on blue/purple plans, 1 SP on green.
Making Southwest Breakfast Egg Rolls
These rolls require a little bit of prep, but they’re a great make-ahead option that you can enjoy all week. To make them, you’ll need:
- Egg roll wrappers, any brand you like
- Eggs + almond milk (or any milk you like) to create fluffy scrambled eggs
- Red pepper, onion, and jalapeños, all diced up (I used pickled jalapeños which aren’t too spicy)
- Shredded hash brown potatoes, I use frozen ones with nothing added for minimal points
- Taco seasoning
- Low fat or fat free shredded cheese, whichever you prefer, but I used a low fat mozzarella
You’ll cook your eggs, vegetables, and hash browns separately and set them all aside (full details in the recipe card below). Then, it’s time to assemble your egg rolls. Turn your wrapper sideways so it’s diamond shaped. Fill each roll with roughly 1 tbsp cheese, 2 tbsp of the hash mixture, and 1 tbsp of eggs. Fold the bottom up, then fold the sides in, and then wet your fingers and wet the top edge. Tuck all of the toppings in and roll the top edge to seal the egg roll up.
Place all of the prepared egg rolls on an air fryer tray (I have this air fryer and love it) that’s been sprayed well with cooking spray. Spray the rolls throughly with cooking spray so that they’re all covered (this will help get them nice and crispy), and air fry at 375 for 8-9 minutes, until golden brown and crispy all over. Let cool for a minute or two before enjoying!
Cilantro Lime Crema
I served these with hot sauce and cilantro lime crema, which adds some kick and some cooling. You can use any hot sauce you like (I love Melinda’s hot sauces as well as Tobasco’s Chipotle Hot Sauce), and to make the crema you need:
- Greek yogurt, I use Fage 0% nonfat
- Fresh cilantro, chopped finely
- Fresh lime, zest and juice
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Seasoned rice wine vinegar, which adds a little tang and sweetness (trust me)
Variations and Storage
There are tons of ways to mix these up to make them exactly what YOU like!
- Add meat to up the protein content. You can add chopped bacon or turkey bacon, crumbled sausage, or chorizo would be delicious!
- Swap light mozzarella for cheddar cheese or a Mexican blend to up the Southwest flavor
- Add fresh jalapeños instead of pickled to kick up the heat
I store these in the fridge, and air fry them to reheat. I spray them lightly with cooking spray and air fry them at 375 for 5-6 minutes until they’re crispy again. Serve with crema (also stored in the fridge) and enjoy!
Southwest Breakfast Egg Rolls
- Mixing Bowls
- Large Skillet
- Air Fryer
- 10 Egg roll wrappers
- 4 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Almond milk or milk of choice
- 1/2 Red pepper diced
- 1/2 Onion diced
- 2 tbsp Pickled jalapeños or 1 tbsp fresh diced jalapeños
- 1 cup Shredded hash browns
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp Taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup Fat free shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt Nonfat
- 1 Lime zest and juice
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 3 tbsp Fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp Seasoned rice wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs and milk together until fluffy. Add diced jalapeños and season with salt and pepper. Spray pan with cooking spray and add egg mixture. Move eggs around consistently as they cook to get perfectly soft scrambled eggs. Remove from heat once eggs are fully cooked through and set aside.
- Dice peppers and onions. Heat skillet over medium heat (you can use the same one from the eggs) and spray with cooking spray. Add frozen hash brown potatoes and cook for 4-5 minutes, until softened. Add peppers and onions and cook for another 7-8 minutes, until everything is beginning to brown and is fully soft. Add taco seasoning, stir to incorporate, and remove from heat.
- Turn egg roll wrapper sideways so it's diamond shaped. Add 1 tbsp cheese on the bottom, then 2 tbsp of the hash mixture, and 1 tbsp of the egg mixture on top. Fold the bottom edge up, then fold both sides in. Wet your dinger and gently wet the top edge to help the egg roll stick together. Fold the top edge over (tucking the fillings in) and seal the egg roll. Repeat and place all egg rolls on a well-sprayed air fryer tray.
- Spray egg rolls entirely with cooking spray. Air fry at 375 for 7-9 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
- Finely chop cilantro. In a mixing bowl, combine Greek yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, lime zest, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and rice wine vinegar. Mix until well combined.
- Blue: 2 SP for 1, 4 SP for 2
- Purple: 2 SP for 1, 4 SP for 2
- Green: 3 SP for 1, 6 SP for 2
- Blue: 0 SP/ serving when divided by 4
- Purple: 0 SP/ serving when divided by 4
- Green: 1 SP/ serving when divided by 4