As kids I’m pretty sure we were all told the same thing – “you can’t eat cake for breakfast.” Well, here at Food by the Gram, I’m all about having your cake and eating it too, quite literally. So naturally, Healthy Birthday Cake Waffles needed to happen. These are a riff on my Healthier Waffle recipe, but these taste like a big ol’ slice of birthday cake, sprinkles and all. They’re made with slightly different ingredients than your typical waffle, and the end result is a soft, fluffy, delicious waffle. You’d never know it was lighter, seriously.
Making Healthy Birthday Cake Waffles
These are quick and easy to make, so they’re awesome to make ahead. I like to make a big batch at the beginning of the week and reheat them all week long with a side of eggs for some protein. It makes for the perfect balanced breakfast that I truly look forward to eating.
To make the waffles you’ll combine:
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Smart Balance spread (which you can swap for butter)
- Unsweetened almond milk (can substitute any milk or nut milk)
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla and almond extracts to give it a birthday cake flavor
- Nonfat greek yogurt
And that’s it. Just mix everything up until you have a uniform, semi-runny batter, similar to a cake batter, whip out your handy dandy waffle maker, spray, cook, repeat. Then, just spray your waffle maker and pour ~3 tbsp or so of batter into it and cook until golden brown on either side. I topped these with a simple glaze, in which I combined a powdered monk fruit sweetener, which is WW friendly, with a bit of almond milk to create a runny glaze. I added extra sprinkles and voila! Birthday cake for breakfast.
Healthy Birthday Cake Waffles
- Mixing Bowl
- Waffle Iron
- 1 1/2 cup All purpose flour + 2 tbsp
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Powdered sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt Nonfat
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Almond extract
- 1/2 tbsp Smart Balance melted, cooled
- 3 tbsp Sprinkles
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and powdered sugar. Stir together.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, greek yogurt, milk, vanilla, almond extract and melted Smart Balance.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, stirring until mixture is completely uniform. Add sprinkles in last and stir in gently.
- Spray waffle iron and cook waffles (roughly 3.5 tbsp/waffle) until lightly golden on either side. Serve with your choice of toppings and enjoy!
- 2 SP for 1 waffle on blue, green, and purple plans