Okay so y’all know I love Muddy Buddies (also known as puppy chow) – I even have a recipe for a healthier version of them. They’re rich, sweet, salty, crunchy, and make for such a tasty snack or dessert. In my never-ending search for healthier sweet and salty snacks, I may have had a breakthrough. Popcorn Muddy Buddies. Swapping the base of traditional muddy buddies for popcorn takes this classic snack to a whole new level. Still a sweet, salty delight, but now with a great airy texture too. And, since popcorn is typically 0 points on WW, this is a WW friendly treat that anyone can enjoy!
Making Popcorn Muddy Buddies
These are an absolute breeze to make. No baking (or real cooking) required. Simply melt, mix, and let solidify in the fridge. Then, you’ve got sweet, salty clusters of deliciousness ready to go. To make these, you’ll need:
- Popcorn of choice, popped. Note, if following WW, you’ll want to use a totally plain popcorn.
- Chocolate of choice. I used Swerve’s sugar free chips, but any will work.
- Peanut butter (or other nut butter), which you’ll mix with the chocolate to keep it a bit soft, and it will give a delicious nutty flavor.
- Powdered sugar (or use a powdered sugar substitute like Swerve to keep points low).
- Powdered peanut butter, which adds more nutty flavor and a bit of protein to these. It also lets you use less sugar to coat them!
Pop your popcorn, remove any kernels, and put in a large mixing bowl. In a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and peanut butter and melt in 30 second increments, stirring until you have a smooth, silky mixture with no lumps. Pour over popcorn and gently mix to coat as many of the popcorn pieces as possible. They don’t need to be fully covered, but you want to make sure that theres a bit of chocolate on every piece. Let it cool for 5 minutes or so, just long enough so it’s not hot, but it shouldn’t begin to harden yet. Then, coat with powdered sugar and peanut butter powder and toss a few times to coat fully. There shouldn’t be any super wet chocolate exposed, it should all be covered by the powder mixture. Let set in the fridge for an hour, then enjoy!
Popcorn Muddy Buddies
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Microwave Safe Bowl
- Silicone Spatula or Spoon
- 8 cups popcorn popped with kernels removed
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips if following WW use Lily’s or Swerve chocolate
- 1/3 cup peanut butter or nut butter of choice
- 2 tbsp powdered peanut butter
- 6 tbsp powdered sugar replacement or 6-10 tbsp powdered sugar, just enough to coat
- Pop your popcorn, remove any kernels, and add to a large mixing bowl.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add chocolate and peanut butter and melt in 30 second increments, mixing together until you have a smooth mixture with no lumps. Pour over popcorn and gently mix until all popcorn has some chocolate coating.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then toss with powdered sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, and powdered peanut butter. Gently toss until all of the popcorn is covered and no wet chocolate remains.
- Let chill in the fridge for an hour until fully set. Enjoy!