Key lime pie has always been out of my favorite desserts, especially as the weather gets warmer. It’s creamy, sweet, tart, and oh so satisfying. However, it really never occurred to me to try to make it. I knew it involved separating egg yolks and it sounded like a lot of work, and who wants a goopy, icky mess if it doesn’t come out great?
Well, lucky for you all – I’m headstrong. I bought limes, and I got to work. After lots of trial and error, I’m thrilled with this perfect key lime pie, which really lives up to its name.
What’s in perfect key lime pie?
The components of this pie are things you can easily grab at any grocery store, so no need to go to Florida to get your key lime fix. You’ll need:
- A pie crust. You can totally make your own (like in these key lime pie bars), or just use a store bought one.
- Egg yolks to bind everything together
- Key lime juice (I use the kind from a bottle, or fresh works) plus lime zest from fresh limes
- Condensed milk and sour cream, to make this sweet and creamy
- Whipped cream and extra limes for decorating the finished pie
Making the pie
Making this pie is as simple as can be. First things first, make your crust (or use store bought).
Next, beat your egg yolks with the lime zest until creamy. Stir in condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice. Mix until totally uniform and no lumps remain. Pour into your pie crust and bake for 15-17 minutes. When done, it should be mostly solid, but the middle should jiggle juuuust a little bit. It will set up as it cools and firms up.
Let it cool at room temp for 30 minutes. Once it reaches room temp, pop it into the fridge for at least 3-4 hours to set. Once set, decorate, cut, and enjoy! Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Perfect Key Lime Pie
- Mixing Bowls
- Pie Pan
- 1 Graham cracker crust if you want to make your own, just googled “Basic Graham Cracker Crust” and use whatever recipe suits you! Then follow the recipe for the curd
- 1 14 oz can condensed milk
- Zest of 1-2 limes
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup key lime juice 1/2 cup if you don’t like it tart
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Whipped cream and extra limes for topping/decorating
- Preheat oven to 325
- Beat egg yolks with lime zest, then stir in condensed milk, then add sour cream and lime juice. Stir until mixture is uniform.
- Fill graham cracker crust evenly and put on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-17 min, it should still jiggle a bit when it comes out. Allow it to cool for 30 min.
- Put in the fridge for ~3 hours (or more) and then top with whipped cream and sliced limes- enjoy!