I’ll admit it – I’ve never liked cole slaw. I’d be at a summer BBQ loading up my plate, avoiding the cole slaw like the plague. I think it’s because all of the slaws I ever encountered growing up were store bought, super sweet, overly creamy, and downright icky. Enter my healthy cole slaw.
Trust me, nobody is more surprised than me that I decided to make a cole slaw recipe. I was making chicken sandwiches and just knew that a tangy, creamy slaw was the missing element to make the perfect sandwich. So I got to testing. I’m psyched to say that after eating way too much slaw – I’ve nailed it. My healthy cole slaw is a little sweet, creamy, tangy, and so good that you’re going to want to eat it on it’s own (though it’s reaaaally good on sandwiches). It’s also WW friendly, made with a few healthy swaps that keep it lower in fat/calories/WW points. It was enough to convert me into a cole slaw fan, so I’m sure you’ll like it too!
Making Healthy Cole Slaw
This slaw has two main components. First is the slaw base, which you can essentially buy pre-made at the grocery store. It’s a mix of cabbages and carrots, typically shredded up. The other component to the base is fresh green onion, finely chopped. It adds a great tang and flavor to the slaw, so don’t skip it!
The real star of my healthy cole slaw is the dressing. It’s creamy, tangy, and lightly sweet. You could totally use it on other salads too, but on the slaw base it really makes for an incredible cole slaw. The dressing is made with:
- Light mayo
- Apple cider vinegar
- Fresh lemon juice (squeezed from a lemon, not a bottle!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Celery seed
- A little bit of powdered sugar to sweeten it. You could also substitute a bit of honey or even regular sugar here, but powdered sugar incorporates really smoothly and gives just enough sweetness.
You’ll combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, mixing well until you have a smooth dressing. Then pour it over your cabbage base and mix it all together until everything is coated. Let sit for 30-40 minutes in the fridge before serving, then enjoy!
Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Healthy Cole Slaw
- Mixing Bowls
- 14 oz cole slaw
- 1/4 cup green onion chopped
- 2/3 cup light mayo
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- Combine slaw mix and chopped green onion in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Combine all dressing ingredients and whisk together until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Coat slaw mix in dressing and toss to fully coat. Let sit in the fridge for 30-40 minutes prior to serving. Enjoy!