I love a morning scone. Seriously, nothing makes me happier than a good scone paired with a hot cup of coffee. I used to get one every morning before work and it was my little slice of morning bliss. Then I found out that regular scones are like 15 points each – eek! That did not fit into my daily points, so as per usual, I started recipe testing a healthier version. These Healthy Mini Blueberry Lemon Scones are the perfect replacement for my morning treat. They’re a bite sized fruity delight, with a great crumbly texture, AND they’re just 1 WW SP each.
Making Healthy Mini Blueberry Lemon Scones
If you’ve ever made scones before, you know it can be a bit of a finicky process. You need to cut in your butter juuuust right, can’t overwork the dough, need to refrigerate it etc etc etc – lots of work. These healthier scones are way simpler – no refrigeration or shaping required. Just mix, scoop, bake, enjoy! To make these, you’ll need:
- all purpose flour, baking powder, salt, sugar for your dry ingredients
- butter that’s super cold (or frozen), cut into little cubes, which you’ll mix into your dry base
- egg, nonfat greek yogurt, lemon extract, lemon zest, lemon juice, and almond milk which you’ll mix together and incorporate into your dry base
- milk to brush on top and a bit of sugar if desired
You’ll mix your dry ingredients first. Once combined, take your cold butter that’s cubed and gently mix it in with a spoon, spatula, etc (not your hands, since they’ll melt the butter) so it’s incorporated throughout. Once mixed in, create a well in the center. Meanwhile, mix up all of your wet ingredients, and pour them into the well you’ve created. Using your utensil of choice, fold the dry mixture from the outside in, and mix your ingredients until just combined fully. Lastly, fold in blueberries.
I used a cookie scoop to then scoop these into little balls (approximately 1 inch size) on a lined baking sheet. I use silicone baking mats which are nonstick, reusable, and easy to clean. Brush the tops with a little milk, sprinkle with additional sugar if you like them sweeter (just a pinch will do) and bake! Let cool slightly before enjoying, store in an airtight container.
Healthy Mini Blueberry Lemon Scones
- Mixing Bowls
- Baking Sheet
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp butter frozen and cut into small cubes
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup greek yogurt nonfat
- 1 cup Blueberries
- 3 tbsp almond milk to brush on top
- additional sugar for topping optional
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and stir together. Gently incorporate cut up butter with a spatula or spoon, making sure it's evenly distributed. Create a well in the center of dry mixture.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine greek yogurt, almond milk, lemon juice, lemon extract, egg, lemon zest and stir together. Pour into the well of your dry ingredients and starting at the outer edges, incorporate dry ingredients into wet, being careful not to over-mix. Once fully incorporated, gently fold in blueberries.
- Bake for 13-17 minutes, until fluffy and lightly golden. Let cool slightly before enjoying.
- 1 scone for 1 point
- 3 scones for 3 points
- 5 scones for 5 points
- 7 scones for 7 points
- 1 scone for 1 point
- 3 scones for 4 points
- 5 scones for 6 points
- 7 scones for 8 points