And it’s not even your birthday?! You don’t need to be celebrating anything in particular to enjoy these healthy birthday cake donuts. They’re a lightened up take on a a big ol’ slice of birthday cake, in a fun donut form. Light, airy, and oh so satisfying, but only 5 WW SP or 155 calories each, glaze and all.
Making Healthy Birthday Cake Donuts
Though these are lower in calories (and thus, WW points), they’re made with all real ingredients. Real flour, real sugar, real simple.
To make these donuts, you’ll need the following:
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract and almond extract, which give this a cake batter flavor
- Vegetable oil
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Nonfat Greek Yogurt
- Powdered sugar + creamer or milk or choice for glaze
- Sprinkles! Lots of sprinkles.
The glaze is a super simple, two ingredient glaze. You’ll just need powdered sugar and milk or coffee creamer to create a liquid glaze. I used Nutpods, which are WW friendly, 0 points, and taste delicious (dairy free too). You can get 15% off your first Nutpods order with code FOODBYTHEGRAM too.
Variations and Storage
If you’re looking for other donut recipes, search ‘donuts’ on my site and you’ll find apple cider, lemon, chocolate, and cereal milk donuts! All of them are WW friendly, light and fluffy, and delicious.
I store these in the fridge (un-glazed) for up to 4 days, though they rarely last that long. I like to leave them out for 20 or so minutes before eating so that they can come to room temperature for maximum softness, and I only glaze before serving. Serve with a cup of hot tea or coffee and enjoy!
Healthy Birthday Cake Donuts
- Mixing Bowls
- Donut Pan
- Cooling Rack
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1.5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp rainbow sprinkles
- 5 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1.5 tbsp vanilla creamer or milk I use NutPods
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and whisk together to combine
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, Greek yogurt, oil, almond milk, and almond and vanilla extract until mixture is smooth.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir to combine, until you have a uniform mixture with a consistency of cake batter. Add sprinkles and gently fold in.
- Spray your donut pan with cooking spray and put roughly 2 tbsp of batter into each. It doesn't need to be filled to the top, as these will rise
- Bake for 10-13 minutes, until they’ve risen a bit and a toothpick comes out clean. They should be light and springy.
- Allow donuts to cool to room temp on a cooling rack
- Mix powdered sugar with creamer (or milk), adding liquid 1/2 tbsp at a time until you have a runny glaze.
- Drizzle 1 tsp of glaze onto each donut and spread with a spoon. Top with sprinkles and enjoy!
- 3 SP each on blue/purple
- 4 SP on green
- 5 SP on blue/purple
- 6 SP on green