Want big s’mores flavor without the campfire (or the dairy)? Then this is the cake for you! This dairy-free s’mores cake pairs rich chocolate cake with a dairy free frosting and lots of graham cracker and marshmallow for a final product that is absolutely delicious.
Making dairy-free s’mores cake
This cake has three main components – the cake, the frosting, and the toppings. All together, you get big campfire flavor without any milk (though you can substitute with dairy-based ingredients as well). For the cake, you’ll need:
- Baking powder
- Cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- Baking soda
- Dairy free milk of choice (I used almond)
- Canola oil
You’ll combine your dry ingredients in one bowl and wet in another. Mix the two together and pour into a well-greased 9″ cake pan. I typically make one 9″ round and cut it in half and stack it, which yields a perfect half-layer-cake. If you want a full 9″ double layer cake, just double everything. Bake your cake at 350F for 30-35 min, until a toothpick comes out clean. Let your cake cool completely until ready to frost.
To make the frosting, you’ll need:
- Butter (or substitute Smart Balance if you’re looking to make it a bit lighter)
- Powdered sugar
- Cocoa powder
- Dairy free milk or creamer. Nutpods work great here as well.
Lastly, your toppings. You’ll want to load this baby up with lots of crushed graham crackers, torched marshmallows, and extra chocolate chips. Then, just frost, top, slice, and enjoy!
Dairy-Free S’mores Cake
- Mixing Bowls
- Cake Pans
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 c warm water
- 1/2 cup almond milk + splash of @nutpods vanilla oat creamer can sub with 1/2 cup total of any milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter softened sub dairy free butter option if needed
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 4-5 Tbsp almond milk or regular
- 1/4 cup mini marshmallows
- 2 graham crackers roughly crushed
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, sugar in a bowl and whisk together
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, oil, vanilla, milk, and creamer. Pour into dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Add 1/4 cup warm water and mix until entire mixture has thinned out.
- Pour into greased 9 inch pan and bake for 30-35 min, until toothpick comes out clean
- Once cooked, level the cake (cut off the top if it’s domed), cut in half
- Combine all frosting ingredients minus milk in mixer and mix until fully combined and smooth. Add milk one tbsp at a time until you reach desired consistency.
- To make half cake, frost one half add any desired toppings (I added crushed graham cracker, marshmallows, chocolate chips), stack other half on top, frost top, and add more toppings! Torch marshmallows if you’re feeling fancy.