If you’re not familiar with a hasselback potato, I feel like that’s important context. Basically, you take a potato, make a bunch of slices in it (not all the way through), and then stuff those open parts with something (cheese, butter, you name it). The end result is super flavorful with something in each bite, since it’s sliced into the potatoes. I took that same concept and applied it to chicken to make these Air Fryer Hasselback Chicken Breasts! While they may look complicated, this recipe couldn’t be easier. Made in the air fryer, it’s also lighter (minimal oil needed) while still being tender and juicy.
The chicken is stuffed with apples and cheddar, one of my favorite combos, so you get some sweet and salty flavor in every bite. It’s a delicious, nutritious meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights or weekends hosting dinner at your place – hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Making Air Fryer Hasselback Chicken Breasts
Start with four plump chicken breasts, and make precise slices down each breast (but not all the way through). Picture thin slices of honeycrisp apple delicately nestled into each incision, offering a burst of natural sweetness with every bite. Half a block of fat-free sharp cheddar (I used Cabot’s), sliced thin, becomes the creamy companion to the apple, creating a harmonious blend of textures and tastes. As the chicken cooks, this cheese melts into gooey perfection, infusing each slice with its rich, savory goodness.
To elevate the savory profile, a symphony of seasonings is introduced. A sprinkle of salt, a dash of pepper, a hint of garlic, and the earthy aroma of thyme come together to amp up the flavor.
The magic happens in the Air Fryer, where the chicken breasts are cooked to perfection at 375°F for 14-15 minutes. The result? Chicken with a golden, crispy exterior and a tender, juicy interior, each slice revealing a delightful interplay of apple, cheese, and savory seasoning.
Not only is this dish a culinary triumph, but it’s also a Weight Watchers dream. It allows you to indulge in the richness of flavors without compromising your wellness goals. In the spirit of celebrating simple yet flavorful meals, Air Fryer Hasselback Chicken Breasts are perfect for both weeknight dinners and as leftovers, served cold for a tasty and satisfying lunch the next day.
Air Fryer Hasselback Chicken Breasts
- Air Fryer
- 4 chicken breasts boneless skinless
- 1/2 block fat free sharp cheddar sliced thin
- 1 apple honeycrisp, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 Tsp thyme fresh of dried – chopped
- cooking spray
- Make slices about an inch deep down your chicken breasts (about 5-6 cuts per large breast), ensuring you don’t cut all the way through.
- Fill each slice with an apple slice and a cheddar slice.
- Season each breast with salt, pepper, garlic, and thyme.
- Spray well with cooking spray.
- Air fry at 375 F for 14-15 min, until the chicken reaches an internal temp of 165F (I check with a meat thermometer).
- Serve with your choice of sauce and side (I love a little bbq sauce with this combo). Enjoy!